Little Snitch may have detected a problem

Reaction score
I recently saw "<name>.local" show up on the Network Monitor of Little Snitch. I am censoring the <name> since I am not sure if it would be wise to post it. "<name>.local" is not an account on my computer, so I was wondering what this was. I think I saw it with mDNSResponder on the Network Monitor, but I do not remember. Could I have a virus that is sending information from my computer to "<name>.local"? I update Norton religiously, but it has not detected anything.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you sure that's not your machine name? Does it match what's available in System Preferences > Sharing > Computer Name? Do you have any sharing enabled?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Do you have any other Macs or computers running Bonjour on your network? Most likely this is just Bonjour executing multicast DNS to discover each other.

OP
K
Reaction score
Are you sure that's not your machine name? Does it match what's available in System Preferences > Sharing > Computer Name? Do you have any sharing enabled?

It is not my machine name. I have no sharing enabled.

OP
K
Reaction score
Do you have any other Macs or computers running Bonjour on your network? Most likely this is just Bonjour executing multicast DNS to discover each other.

I do not know who is on my network. It is just me at home with a router. It has wireless capabilities, but I do not know whether or not someone may have tapped into that connection, or whether or not the wireless connection on my router is even active. I also do not know what Bonjour is. I am a layperson when it comes to computers.

OP
K
Reaction score
I am also seeing eyewond.fcod.llnwd.net being accessed by Firefox despite the fact that I chose to deny access when prompted.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I am also seeing eyewond.fcod.llnwd.net being accessed by Firefox despite the fact that I chose to deny access when prompted.
eyewood.fcod.llnwd.net is owned by Limelight Networks Inc. (as you can see here), which is a Content Delivery Network. That particular page is based out of Europe and based on their corporate contact page, the page is probably hosted out of the UK but that's just a guess. Now, I know that is more info than you needed but I'm just trying to assuage your concerns. If it helps, here is an article that mentions Limelight that should help assure you that it is a legitimate business. Or, you can read their Wikipedia article. In fact, as you can see in this article, Apple uses Limelight. Where did you see this URL - what page were you trying to visit when you saw this URL being accessed?

As for who is connecting to your router (should anyone be doing this), it would be much easier to walk you through the process of both checking who is connected and whether wireless is enabled if you give us the make and model no. of your router. Actually, as a quick test, do you see any wireless networks listed that look familiar to you?

OP
K
Reaction score
As for who is connecting to your router (should anyone be doing this), it would be much easier to walk you through the process of both checking who is connected and whether wireless is enabled if you give us the make and model no. of your router. Actually, as a quick test, do you see any wireless networks listed that look familiar to you?

I see another computer connected to my router wirelessly. It must be the reason I kept seeing <name>.local, since the other computer is <name>. Does this mean this person tried to hack me? I have taken down his/her MAC address and disabled wireless on my router, but <name> is still listed as a device linked to my router wirelessly.

EDIT: I just attempted to rename <name> and was successful. How can this be if it is not my computer?

EDIT 2: I just turned off then turned on my router, and <name> is no longer listed in my network but neither am I. I am an unknown computer. I can still connect to the internet, but my router does not recognize me.

Reaction score
It is for an ad that they want to play on your browser. I got the same thing and it was for an animated ad... Little Snitch also made me aware of it and first I denied it access and the ad quit.. Then I went to the same download page (it was a page to download monolingual) and this time I oked it and the ad played.. It is an ad delivery to your browser....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.