What's Better ?

Reaction score
I need to decide whether to purchase either a;

WHITE MACBOOK 13" 2.13GHz , 4GB RAM , 250GB HARD DRIVE
OR
MACBOOK PRO 13" (UNIBODY) 2.26GHz , 2GB RAM , 160GB HARD DRIVE

None of the exterior differences pertain to me, such as firewire or the look of them.. personally I like the exterior of the white macbook more. The size of the hard drive does not matter to me either, I just stated more spec's to help get a better answer. I just would like to know which would perform better. I would only be running programs such as Photoshop, iLife and iWork.

Thanks to anyone that could help,
Ben

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
For the applications and needs you've listed... the MacBook would be fine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For the applications and needs you've listed... the MacBook would be fine.

Actually the "OP" didn't ask which computer was fine for his needs...he asked which one "would perform better"! ;D

But I do agree that the MacBook would be fine for his needs.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Like I don't have to pay for it, so I asking what would run better, the 2.26GHz with 2GB ram, or the 2.16GHz with 4GB ram.

T

todd51

If I wasn't paying for it and had my choice, I would probably get the Macbook Pro. Then I would go ahead and upgrade the RAM myself.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
definitely the macbook pro... i have the 15 inch macbook pro and man is it great. the plastic macbook has a tendency to crack very easily and is cheaply made. for the price you are paying the processor is much better in the pro and the overall specs are better. and the pro has a much better, crisper look. like pigoo3 said above, processors cannot be upgraded. ram can be upgraded.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Three MAJOR differences in these two computers (IMHO):

- battery life is supposed to be almost 2 hours longer in the MBP
- the MBP is 4.5 pounds vs. 5.0 pounds for the MB
- the MBP has a max ram limit of 8 gig vs. 4 gig for the MB

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The RAM and the HDD are not that important. You can upgrade those on your own for a lot cheaper than buying them through apple.

What does matter is the CPU and the GPU because those are on the motherboard and can't be removed or upgraded.

The longer battery life on the MBP is nice. The only problem is that you can't remove them and replace with another battery if it runs juice and you can't plug in for some reason.

The backlit keyboard is a nice feature especially if you are up late typing papers like a lot of college students do, myself included.

Not sure if the screen quality is any better on the newer white MBs or not, but the MBP does have a brighter screen compared to last gens model.

Side note, the glass trackpad is not just for looks. I absolutely love how it works. Some people hate it, but if you need precious you should be using a mouse anyways. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
The RAM and the HDD are not that important. You can upgrade those on your own for a lot cheaper than buying them through apple.

What does matter is the CPU and the GPU because those are on the motherboard and can't be removed or upgraded.

The longer battery life on the MBP is nice. The only problem is that you can't remove them and replace with another battery if it runs juice and you can't plug in for some reason.

The backlit keyboard is a nice feature especially if you are up late typing papers like a lot of college students do, myself included.

Not sure if the screen quality is any better on the newer white MBs or not, but the MBP does have a brighter screen compared to last gens model.

Side note, the glass trackpad is not just for looks. I absolutely love how it works. Some people hate it, but if you need precious you should be using a mouse anyways. >_>"

Screen quality on newer white macbooks is the same as the previous ones, i.e. not as good as the macbook pro's. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.