Firewall software?

Reaction score
Newbie here. Still have and use my Windows rig. Been doing a lot of reading and studying on my new iMac. Looking into a firewall for it, came across NetBarrier X5. Looks good, but thought I would ask so,e people who know more than I do about this. Thanks, very much.
Bill

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OS X has a firewall. Go to System Preferences > Security > Firewall. Unless you need fine grained control, I would guess that it should be fine for you.

From what I know, the OS X firewall pref pane is a front end to ipfw, a firewall inherited from FreeBSD (I could be wrong though). If you want more fine grained control, you can look for a GUI front end to ipfw (unless you want to configure it by hand which I would advise against if you're new to *nix).

EDIT: I found one called WaterRoof - I haven't tried it so I can't comment on it but it could be worth looking into.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Or, you could download the free "NoobProof 1.4" from here. It allows you to fine tune your firewall and lots more. And it's "noobproof" (that's why I use it) :)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Just use the built-in OS X Firewall; it's all you really need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.