Mac Pro early 2009 8-core : freezing problem

Reaction score
Hi.
My keyboard and my mouse freeze every 2 sec during half a sec and then start working again. So every 2 sec, i've got to wait until they start responding again. I've contacted AppleCare and for the second time, they're replacing my Mac Pro. So I'd like to know if there's a known problem with this computer or if I'm in a run of bad luck and the third one will be the good one.
I've tried by the way with multiple keyboards/mices (corded and cordless), under Leopard given with my Mac Pro and with a retail DVD. I've also tried reinitialising the PRAM (as told by AppleCare). I've also installed Windows on another hard drive and curiously, keyboard and mouse work just perfectly without any freezing. I hope I gave you enough details and sorry if my english is not perfect by I'm French!
Regards.

Mac Pro 8-core 2.26 GHz
6 GB RAM
640 GB HDD
AMD HD 4870

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect you have a software problem of sorts, or a problem with the hard drive that OS X is installed on. The fact that it doesn't happen in Windows which you have installed on a separate hard drive pretty much eliminates the remaining system hardware.

When you receive your third Mac Pro, instead of loading it up with all your software and whatever else, just run it with a bare copy of Leopard installed to see what happens.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Still very strange that Windows runs OK with no freezing and you have it installed on a separate hard drive.... I don't think it's a hardware problem but I guess you'll have to wait and see when your third Mac Pro arrives.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah I know. With all the things I've tried, it's neither software nor hardware... Guess I'll have to wait. Thanks anyway !

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good find. Glad you finally got it resolved. Too bad you couldn't keep all those Mac Pros at the same time. :)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.