Dial-up connection trouble: any way to diagnose?

Reaction score
I do tech support at a small ISP where we still have a number of customers on dial-up. One customer has a Mac and just cannot get connected. If you've ever set up a dial-up connection then you know that there's not much to it: you just enter the access number, username, and password and the modem can dial up (at prehistoric speeds) to the Internet. My customer's on Mac OS 10.5 and just keeps getting a "failed to connect" message. On a Windows box it'd give more info about the reason for the problem. We've triple-checked all his settings and he's got a regular Mac internal modem. Does anyone know a way to diagnose this further? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
If it's a MacBook/MacBook Pro or later, it doesn't have an internal modem. You need an external modem of some kind. Apple gives you the option to buy a USB modem with your new Apple computer, but I don't know if they sell them separately.

However, if it is a PowerMac/PowerBook or earlier, I don't know what the problem is, unless your customer just hasn't set up or enabled their internal modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And some G5's do not come with modems either, particularly the later Dual Core models. Modems can fail so I would suggest the customer bring the machine to you and you can then try different tests to see if the machine has a working internal modem or requires a router.

If you can ever get a USB modem or adapter to work, you are very clever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
I bought my apple dial up modem separately but I bought it a a apple authorized dealer and not an actually apple store.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I know it's an older Mac laptop that comes with a dial-up modem (at least, it's available to configure in System Preferences -> Network), but not what model it is. At this point I'm going to advise the customer that he'll have to take that in to a store to have them check out the modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If the owner has the original install disc, run Apple Hardware Test as this does check out the modem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.