Just got my first mac book

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have found this forum after buying my first mac book, I ordered it yesterday.

Has anyone from the UK brought direct from Apple on Finance and if you have how long did it take before you got your mac book?
I dont normally buy on finance but at the moment I have no laptop (I am posting this at work) I use to have a Dell laptop but it has broke now and at only 4 years old aswell...

Anyway if anyone has gone from a PC to a Mac how easy was it? is it hard to get use to?

Thank you for any Advice
My name is Angela and im 22 from the Uk :) thought I would introduce myself.

Angela

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Never used finance (with Apple at least) but the transition from Windows to OS X will be smooth for most people.

If you do find you are missing the odd Windows application then there is always one of the virtualization options available (e.g. VMware fusion, Parallels) and of course the regulars here will be happy to offer alternatives if you list the apps that you're missing on your Mac.

Welcome aboard Angela :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, first off the main thing i want woking when I get it is internet, which mine is through AOL as im still at hom and thats the company my dad likes I have heard problems with it not sure weather it is fine on macs.

is there and internet thing on macs like on Windows you always have Internet Explorer on there to start with?

And also does MSN work on macs?

Thank you cant wait to get the mac

T

todd51

Thank you for the reply, first off the main thing i want woking when I get it is internet, which mine is through AOL as im still at hom and thats the company my dad likes I have heard problems with it not sure weather it is fine on macs.

is there and internet thing on macs like on Windows you always have Internet Explorer on there to start with?

And also does MSN work on macs?

Thank you cant wait to get the mac

Yes, the web browser on Mac is called Safari.

I'm assuming your talking about MSN Messenger? There is MSN Messenger, but I think most people will agree with me that Adium is the best instant messaging client for Mac. It will allow you to connect to MSN, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, etc. (the list goes on) with only one application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, first off you can get MSN for Mac, looks a little different and to be honest it's not as good as MSN for Windows (if you are in to video chatting that is) normal text chatting is fine on MSN for Mac. You don't need the link yet but here it is all the same.

Internet browser = Safari - great browser, but there are more to choose from, Safari is pre-installed but you can also choose to get Firefox, I think Opera is available, Camino, Chrome will be out soon, there are choices for sure, but Safari is installed from the get go and is a great browser to be honest.

AOL; this will work fine on your Mac, it is a Service provider that probably comes into your home on an broadband modem connected to a home wireless router (the modem and router are often the same device) you do not need to install any AOL software; as long as that wireless router is working then the in-built wireless connection in your Mac should be able to connect to it with no problems and you'll be ready to go.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dave.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hiya thank you for the replies.

Yeah I am conencted to a wireless router at the moment.
I have heard of Ebuddy which lets you connect to MSN, facebook chat, yahoo etc, I use that on the nintendo DSi. but not the one you mentioned adium, I will look into that one.

I dont use video chat on MSN just normal text, dont like people seeing me on webcam :D

I hope I get it by the end of the week, as my mum is off work so there will be someone here for delivery and my dad wont know :) he didnt want me getting a macbook, but since when do people listen to parents, I work and paying for it myself so not a problem I can see....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont use video chat on MSN just normal text, dont like people seeing me on webcam :D
:) I know what you mean, it is actually quite off-putting to have a video chat... I never understood the point of making video phone calls from a mobile phone either...

I hope I get it by the end of the week, as my mum is off work so there will be someone here for delivery and my dad wont know :) he didnt want me getting a macbook, but since when do people listen to parents, I work and paying for it myself so not a problem I can see....
lol

OP
A
Reaction score
I dont have a video phone, not anymore anyway never used it so what was the point :)

I have a webcam think I have used it once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 inch Macbook(Late 2006) /Intel Core Duo 2 / 1.83 Ghz / 160 GB HDD / 1 GB RAM
I also just got a new macbook. i like a lot and you probly will too

OP
A
Reaction score
Hi and thank you for the link to Adium, makes it easier when I get my macbook to download it now :)

Havent heard anything yet today about a delivery date thats if they tell you I dont know, I have checked the status and still says under review, which means they are waiting on the payment to go through. Freepost might be second class post in UK im not sure....wish it would hurry up though :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey im in the exact same boat as you.

I posted my finance papers off on friday and by Monday afternoon apple emailed me to let me know they was processing my order.
Its now Wednesday and I've been told my order should be shipped some point today ready for delivery around the 11th or 12th

-- Bry

OP
A
Reaction score
Oh right so I might here tomorrow about them processing my order then, I might have it next week then maybe.....

At least I have a computer I can use till then though, just cant wait :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The wait is definitely evil :p

Its all so worth it though, hope it all goes smooth for you :)

-- Bry

T

todd51

I remember the wait for mine. The delivery guy rang the doorbell early that morning and I didn't wake up for it. It was an early delivery date, so I wasn't even expecting it. Went online to check to see where it was and it said that it had been delivered. I almost pooped my pants. Ran to the front door and there was no box!

Then I was able to check the signature online and noticed it was my grandma! Thankfully, she lives next door so he brought it over there knowing who she was. Went over there and opened it up in front of them. It was a beautiful Tuesday that day.

OP
A
Reaction score
well I rang them because I noticed I had given them my old mobile number, cant get use to having a new one.

Could really understand the bloke on the phone (very quiet line), but im sure he said delivery is expected between the 21-24 of this month....is that right about 2-3 weeks wait? I haventhad anything changed on it just a standard macbook pro

Reaction score
well I rang them because I noticed I had given them my old mobile number, cant get use to having a new one.

Could really understand the bloke on the phone (very quiet line), but im sure he said delivery is expected between the 21-24 of this month....is that right about 2-3 weeks wait? I haventhad anything changed on it just a standard macbook pro

I was in the exact same situation as you about three weeks ago. I have brought the macbook on finance and when I sent off the papers to Apple - which they lost?! So I sent them recorded the next time, then once Barclays had authorised it, it didnt take long for Apple to process the order - a standard 13" Mac Book pro, I then upgraded it to 4GB .

remember that Apple seem to 'over' estimate sometimes, just so they cover themselves, but generally I find the delivery times acurate, once they are on the website.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, at least I do have internet and that until it arrives which is good.

I am hoping they will update me today on finance its been 3 days since I sent them back, do you think leave it till monday and then if nothing ring them? seeing they lost your papers, or did they contact you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, don't expect apple to be exact with the dates of shipping ;)

My email says on or before 12th yet tracking says 10th. (Can't complain ;))

-- Bry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.