MacBookPro Start Up Sound

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
Hey, talk about a basic/dumb question - here goes one - when I power up my MacBookPro (one year old) it makes that distinctive loud noise. How do I turn that off? Thx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you mute the volume before shutting down, you won't hear the startup chime.

Best just not to shut it down at all, though, so you won't have to turn it on.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
Thanks

Thanks for the reply but I would like to know if there is a "setting" that I can utilize to stop the MBP start up sound from being heard without resorting to muting my MBP each time I shut it down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I'm with technologist. No need to ever shut it down, just let it sleep. If you absolutely have to shut it down, the "setting" you use is Mute.

T

todd51

You probably wouldn't want to turn it off. If you hear that chime, then you know all your components are working correctly, I would just keep it at a low volume. Trust me, you'll get used to it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the reply but I would like to know if there is a "setting" that I can utilize to stop the MBP start up sound from being heard without resorting to muting my MBP each time I shut it down.

Yes there is. You can download the free "Arcana Research Startup Control Panel" from here. It will adjust the startup chime from full on to full off - your choice of loudness. Works great, I've been using it for over a year.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It worked!

Thanks to all for replying to my question but especially to Chscag for providing the solution to my problem. I downloaded the Arcana Research Startup Control Panel and it works great! Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're welcome. Have fun.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.