mac mail, sent items disappeared

Reaction score
i have run mac mail for a few years now and it has been perfect.

suddenly today me 'sent' items have disappeared an will not show.

my mail is working fine, sending mail,receiving mail etc but a copy is now not been stored in sent.

i have checked my 'mobile me' account and all my sent mails are still there.

does anyone have any ideas ??

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
What do you have for this setting in Mail preferences?

screenshot 1.jpg

OP
K
Reaction score
yes i have got the box ticked.

the strange thing is that my iphone 3g still has all the old messages in the sent box but wont now show new sent messages. i did the 3.0.01 upgrade this morning, i hope that hasnt affected something !!

my mail box is now showing 'sent' messages but only the ones i have done in the last few hours. where have all the old ones gone .....arrgggghhh !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
So they are still on the server, but not in Mail? Are you using IMAP?

OP
K
Reaction score
yes the old ones are showing but the mails sent today are not showing up on the server in the sent box, its very weird !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I would maybe think about blowing away the account in Mail and recreating it. Obviously, be very careful to not blow the messages on the server away.

OP
K
Reaction score
well i have just discovered after reading the help section in mail that they are in a sent messages folder at the bottom of my mailboxes, it says this will happen if i change from storing messages on the server to storing them on my mac, i haven't changed any settings so am still confused, at least i have sight of sent mails i just need to work out how to have them sent into my sent mailbox below the inbox and drafts.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.