MBP internal HD Upgrade problem

Reaction score
Using SuperDuper I made a clone backup to a new Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500gb 7200 RPM drive (did not have the shock sensor) using FW. I then booted off this new setup and things were not right. e.g. it takes several clicks to get a response. When minimizing ICal the window starts down towards the dock but freezes before it becomes minimized. Firefox would come up but once again it would take several clicks before the action would take. I then installed this HD in my MBPro thinking it might be a FW thing but the same thing occurred after booting. Booting back to my original 160 GB HD now on FW and everything was normal! I then tried a WD 360 7200 RPM drive doing a SuperDuper clone of my 160 GB HD (now back in the MBPro) with much the same results as the Seagate. Then I tried a Hitachi 500 GB 5400 RPM drive this time making the clone via CarbonCopy. BTW I had uninstalled the Logitech Control Center Driver so the mouse was being run by OSX with no difference. This time things were a little better but Firefox still did not respond on the first click, the dock and Spaces would not respond (this also happened with the 2 other drives but not the original HD) every time. Also at each point I ran XBench to "test" the new HDs and the results were as expected (faster than my original HD). To me it appears that something in OSX is not right. I don't have my Leopard install disk with me (I left it at home in NM, I'm stuck in SoCal for the next month) or I would try a clean install on one of the new HDs (Frys is loving me!). Any suggestions? Regards, Bob ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which model-year of MacBook Pro do you own? It almost sounds like you're getting some kind of a graphics glitch... I don't believe it has anything to do with the hard drive although it's strange that the machine works OK with the original hard drive installed. And if you used either SuperDuper or CCC to clone the original to the new drive, it should have copied everything over to the new HDD.

Does your MBP have the dual graphics processor capability built in? If it does, try switching the GPU.

Regards.

OP
bob88061
Reaction score
My MBP is from Nov 2006 so it does not have the dual graphics adapter. I too think it's not the HD (all three that I've tried had the same issue) but something in the OS. I'm almost temped to buy a copy of OSX so I can do a clean install...

T

todd51

Hmm.. that is weird. I pretty much have the same model of MBP as you do, bought it in July 2006. I just swapped out my 80Gb drive with a Seagate Momentus 7200 500Gb drive. I'm not sure it it has the shock sensor in it or not.

This is EXACTLY what I did:

First with the original drive in, I made a clone copy with SuperDuper to my older external Firewire drive (not the new one). After that was done I restarted my computer and booted off of the FW drive, making sure that the clone worked.

Next I took apart the computer and installed the 500Gb Seagate. Obviously this drive hasn't been touched yet so I had to boot off of the external FW drive again. Once booted, OSX recognized the new drive and asked me if I wanted to initialize it or not, so I did. Then went into Disk Utility and formatted/partitioned the new internal drive. Once this was done I started up SuperDuper and cloned the external FW to the new internal Seagate.

For the cloning and partitioning of the drives, I followed this tutorial. Mainly the beginning and end since I don't have a regular MB, but a MBP like you.

I hope this helps!

OP
bob88061
Reaction score
Thanks Todd, your description is pretty much exactly what I did also (3 times). The fact that you were successful is encouraging as it must mean something is buggered in my OSX and a clean install would most likely be successful :) Thinking more about this most likely I'll just wait for Snow Leopard and attempt the feat once again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
You might try Main Menu or Applejack. Just throwing those out there. I ran them and found tons of junk, bad links, corrupt preferences, cache, etc that were slowing my system down. I had cloned my image so many times that I had all sorts of unnecessary things laying around. The system was markedly faster after a cleaning.

T

todd51

Thanks Todd, your description is pretty much exactly what I did also (3 times). The fact that you were successful is encouraging as it must mean something is buggered in my OSX and a clean install would most likely be successful :) Thinking more about this most likely I'll just wait for Snow Leopard and attempt the feat once again.

Well that stinks that your having problems. Hopefully you can deal with it until you get a hold of your install discs, or wait for Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.