Alternating Mac and Windows OSs

Reaction score
I bought a Macbook last week and got help to divide the HD into 2 partitions and loaded Windows XP on one. So I can boot up into either Mac or XP.

I then downloaded Virtual Box files to enable me to switch from one to the other without re-booting. But the files which are .exe won't open in either Mac or XP. If someone can kindly help me to install these files, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Stuartp77

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Also, it sounds like you downloaded the Windows version of VirtualBox. You need the Mac version.

Before you do that, I would strongly recommend taking a look at VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop. Both can be had relatively cheaply, and both are far more robust than VirtualBox.

OP
S
Reaction score
Switching from Mac OS to Windows XP OS

I bought a Macbook last week and got help to divide the HD into 2 partitions and loaded Windows XP on one. So I can boot up into either Mac or XP.

I then downloaded Virtual Box files to enable me to switch from one to the other without re-booting. But the files which are .exe won't open in either Mac or XP. If someone can kindly help me to install these files, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Stuartp77

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.