Trying to color my MacBook Pro 15"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.8ghz core duo, 4 GB 1067 MHZ ddr3, 320 GB 7200 RPM
I saw the MacBook Pro Stealth from Colorware and I fell in love at first sight. I want to give that matte black look to my MBP but dont want to buy a new one. Is it safe to powder coat my unibody. Looking for all kinds of solutions.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I saw the MacBook Pro Stealth from Colorware and I fell in love at first sight. I want to give that matte black look to my MBP but dont want to buy a new one. Is it safe to powder coat my unibody. Looking for all kinds of solutions.

Here's a solution for you...if you powder coat your MacBook Pro...when it comes time to sell it, how interested do you think potential buyers will be in it?

I'm going to guess most potential buyers WILL NOT like the custom paint job...and it will reduce the value of the MacBook Pro.

If you want to customize it in some way...do something a little more reversible. You can get custom "skins" made...that of course are removable.

Just my humble opinion, something to think about,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with pigoo3. The custom job may look good to you but to someone else it might not. A removable skin is the way to go.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Pro, 2.53gHz, 4GB mem, 250GB HD; 13.3" Macbook (White), 2gHz, 2GB mem, 120GB HD
If you want a matte black look on your macbook, try an Incase Hard Shell in black or Speck's SeeThru Satin in black. Both provide protection AND a really nice matte black finish. Here is a review of the Incase Hard Shell... I really like it, but of course you're not going for the same color scheme as me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New 13" Macbook Pro 2.5 ghz, 4gb ddr3, 500gb hd | 16gb Nano
Macbooks are built to a very tight tolerance.
If you powder coat the shell and find that it doesn't fit together again properly you might be screwed since the alloy is too thin to sandblast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4g, 4gb Ram | iPod Touch 8GB
If you want a matte black look on your macbook, try an Incase Hard Shell in black or Speck's SeeThru Satin in black. Both provide protection AND a really nice matte black finish.

I totally agree with ThePinkMac, i have the incase hard shell in black, it fits perfectly, looks amazing, protects my mbp, and if/when i am ready to sell my mbp(like THAT would ever happen) it's easy to remove.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.8ghz core duo, 4 GB 1067 MHZ ddr3, 320 GB 7200 RPM
Thank you all for the advice I have decided to go with a clear shell even though I hate them but I found a Permanent Marker artist that will deck it out so its not your average mac. Again thanks for the advice.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you all for the advice I have decided to go with a clear shell even though I hate them but I found a Permanent Marker artist that will deck it out so its not your average mac. Again thanks for the advice.

When all the customizing is done...please post a picture!

Thanks,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.