iPhone Issue

Reaction score
Hello, I came here to post an issue I am having with my new iPhone 3GS, and to explore the possibility that this issue is not only effecting myself.

The issue itself is not easy to explain, but I shall give it my best. What happens is that when sending an SMS text message to one and only one particular contact, I receive the error message, "Message send failure." My initial belief was that it was due to signal strength being minimal and so I went outdoors to boost it to full. This proved to be in vain as the same message showed that message was unable to send. I then thought perhaps since I happened to text this individual more than any of my other contacts, I wondered if I had filled the outbox, and there simply no more room for new messages. Interestingly enough after clearing the chat history, I was able to send 1 text message to this contact. They replied, annoyed that I took so long to do so, but when I tried to reply to this message, I got the red exclamation point of doom and the message did not send. In a nutshell, I cant send a text to this person unless I delete the chat history each time I send them one.

So I called my service provider (Rogers) and the technical support guy told me that this issue is a known one, effecting many others and it deals with the iPhone software, and that they were still awaiting for Apple to advise them on what to do. Since there was nothing else I could do, I called Apple support and asked them if they knew anything about this issue. They said that they knew nothing about this issue and had never heard of it.

So what could it be? I mean if it is just the software on the phone, why is it only this contact, and why does the issue persist even after I delete them as a contact and send messages to that number? And if it's just Rogers, than why is it dependent on me erasing chat history? My own conclusion is that it's both - they meet somewhere in the middle and block the messages from being sent, and if that's the case, I'm upset. I can't get a replacement phone, because it would still be with Rogers and no other provider carries the device. So I come to you kind people searching for a possible fix for my iPhone blues.

Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I know when I send text messages here in the US the phone number has to be in a certain format. For example: 1-456-432-5432. If I type the number as 432-5432 without the area code I get a error message.

Is there any certain number format you must have over there? Is this number happen to be in the wrong format?

OP
D
Reaction score
I know when I send text messages here in the US the phone number has to be in a certain format. For example: 1-456-432-5432. If I type the number as 432-5432 without the area code I get a error message.

Is there any certain number format you must have over there? Is this number happen to be in the wrong format?

The format here is 10 digits starting with the area code *(529)-695-1234*. You only require the 1 in front of the rest if its a long distance number. And unfortunately (in a way) the number is formatted correctly, but thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Have you spoken with Apple abut this? Didn't the new 3.0.1 software update address something with SMS?

OP
D
Reaction score
Yea I spoke with apple only to find that they have never encountered this issue and suggeted a factory restore of the device, however were not sure if it would help. I have downloaded the newest software and It didn't seem to have any effect. Thanks for responding though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
I'm with Rogers with a 3GS as well.

I have had this happen, but only on occasion. Tapping on the red exclamation mark and tapping "Try Again" usually does the trick. You can try the following:

1. Force Quit the Messages app (Open it, Hold down the power button, then at the "slide to power off" screen, hold the home button)
2. Turn off the Network Connection, and leave it off for 30 seconds then turn it back on (Airport mode is good for this)
3. Reboot the Phone
4. Restore the phone using Recovery Mode (Holding down the home button while connecting the USB cable to iTunes) and don't forget to have a backup.

I'm surprised that this is a "known" issue with Rogers. I have not had my iPhone 3GS fail to send texts any more than any previous phones that I owned (including Blackberrys and an iPhone 3G) on Rogers' network.

As a matter of fact, since the launch of the iPhone 3G last July, I found that Rogers' has greatly improved the reliability of their network and has added many network enhancements. I no longer get failed calls and the addition of 7.2 Mbps HSDPA speeds and MMS has made my iPhone 3GS the best phone I have ever owned or used.

OP
D
Reaction score
What I found more surprising personally was Apple telling me they had never encountered such a problem while merely minutes before a Rogers Associate had claimed both Apple and Rogers were trying to work out a solution. As per your suggestions; Apple did ask me to attempt numbers 2 and 3 already, so I tried your first suggestion and will see how that turns out in the morning. The forth option is a road I was trying to avoid, but I don't fully understand what is saved in a backup. Could anyone fill me in on this?

And I must concur on your comments about Rogers overall service, which to until about 6 days ago I found very impressive. I love the phone, and enjoy using it very much, but this whole texting mishap is souring it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
What I found more surprising personally was Apple telling me they had never encountered such a problem while merely minutes before a Rogers Associate had claimed both Apple and Rogers were trying to work out a solution.
Some customer service reps simply don't know what they are talking about. Don't worry it's common to get two answers sometimes unfortunately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
Some customer service reps simply don't know what they are talking about. Don't worry it's common to get two answers sometimes unfortunately.

I must agree... Rogers Reps on the phone sometimes BS their way through the conversation just so that it gives the appearance that Rogers is doing something about the situation. This is especially true if the rep has no idea what you are talking about and their "we are currently working with Apple" speech is a part of a script.

@Dynexx The backup includes all the information on your phone (contacts, calendar, any SMS/MMS messages still in the conversation log, notes etc) and I THINK a copy of your Apps (apps are fairly small in size). What isn't included in the backup is Media such as Music, Videos, Podcasts, etc. I believe it also includes all your settings and preferences.

So restoring a phone from a backup and resyncing it with iTunes should restore your phone back to the way it was. The only thing I'm unsure of is App Data (i.e. any data your Apps may store on the side).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
this happens with me with the 3G as well, but only if I try to send a pic with it (one of their new features)

Reaction score
I have a new issue with my 3GS which I am wondering if anyone else is having. There are times when I have to call people twice in order to hear them in the receiver. It doesnt happen all the time, but it does happen, and I am afraid that I may make a trip to the Apple store, only for the problem not to occur while Im there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Have you tried deleting the contact, texting to the number manually (typing it in) and seeing if that works? Then re-add the contact and try again.

OP
D
Reaction score
I was asked to the same thing from an Apple representative interestingly enough, and unfortunately, despite my hopes, it was a failed attempt.

Reaction score
Hey Dynexxx I'm having the exact same problem. I only discovered it today, after a few days of not being able to text this person, I knew something was wrong because all of the texts I was sending to other people worked fine. This is really weird huh? We need to figure this out, I'm not happy about it, because they keep sending me texts and I can never reply. I haven't tried restoring and I have not called apple about it, although I plan to. Restoring would just be a pain syncing everything again, and what if it doesn't even work. I'll let you know what Apple says to me. In the meantime, let me know if you figure out the problem. You're the only othe person I have found that has this problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.