iMac G5 Pre-sight hard drive upgrade - heat issues with 1 tb?

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have an iMac G5 pre-isight I bought in October of '04. I've decided I need a bigger hard drive, even though the original 160gb drive is still running just fine. I've spent hours researching different drives, and I've decided to either get a Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb or the WD Caviar Green 1tb (model # WD10EADS-00M2B0, if possible since it's the newer, 2-platter design).

I don't really care about the noise of the drive. My main concern is heat. I know the earlier iMacs had issues with heat, and I'm wondering if the 1tb Caviar Black would be too hot for the iMac. Most reviews say not to use the Green version since it won't perform well as an OS drive, but I know it's supposed to run very cool and use less power. I'm not sure if the Caviar Black would draw too much power since it has dual processors.

I'm wondering what drives everyone here uses for their iMac and whether or not a 1tb 7200rpm drive would be too hot.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.