music via UTP netwerk vs airport express

Reaction score
hi u all...

i'm designing at the moment me private multi media system.

i'll choose a mac solution, because i already have some components and it its easier to expend rather then to start all over with a complete new system and because i like working with mac's :D :D
i'll gradually expend my mac multi media solution. however i need some additional tips and tricks.

in the end my solution will (hopefully) look as follows:

- in my office, iMAC mini with Tbite hard disks and raid 2 (or 5) controller. this will also be used to store other data then music, photo's and movies; ie company data...
- in the launch area an apple tv,
- in the kitchen area, active speakers to stream music
- in the bathroom, idem
- in the master bedroom, another apple tv,
- later maybe in the kidsrooms....i do not know whatO:) O:)
- everything controlled via an iTOUCH.

i currently own a macbook pro and an airport extreme. soon, i'll need to get another macbook for my wife.

so, at the end this means a number of users and mac's that will use and share music, movies, foto's and data...

i'm going to install a complete CAT6 UTP network, with in a central place a data cabinet with patch panel and ethernet switch. this will also be used for ie digital tv and telephone...

now, my question. what do i need to install extra, in order to be able to play music X in the kitchen and at the same time music Y in the launch and also music Z in the bathroom.

i have a central technical area, where i could ie install 2 airport express and wire the speakers in the kitchen and bathroom towards this central technical area (it's only a couple of meters). however that means that i'll have my airport extreme and these 2 airport express installed in the same square meter...sounds a little bid overdone, not?

i rather would like to have active speakers with a RJ45 output and wire them via my patch panel directly to my home ethernet...is this possible? can i stream music from (different) itunes (on different mac's) towards different locations, using the ethernet directly and not the WIFI connection of the airport extreme... in the end i would not be needing the airport express???

the airport extreme gives me enough coverage for WIFI at the moment, so also in the future using the iTOUCH as remote controller...

anybody some experience with this set-up?

on the other hand, anybody some tips and tricks for build in speakers for kitchen and bathroom?

thanks for the tips and tricks

p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
If you are really looking for whole house digital audio I would suggest at least taking a look at Sonos. I tried doing what you are doing and with the music portion of it, nothing could touch the Sonos:

Sonos - Home

Obviously, the video is another story. I use a combination of Xbox 360's, AppleTV's, and Mac Mini's for that. We use our iPhone's to control a bunch of the stuff. Going wired where you can is very smart.

OP
P
Reaction score
hi mdfuller,

what are for you the advantages in using a SONOS system in cooperation with the apple toy's?

in other words, what can a SONOS system do in addition to the standard features of the apple system?

the investments for a SONOS is rapidly about 1.000 €...for this, i can be me some other apple stuff...

in my local apple store they also distribute SONOS, however these guys did not convince me why i should need it...true, they also did no effort in trying to convince me...

thanks

p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
There is no "cooperation" between the Apple devices and the Sonos other than the fact your music can reside on a Mac and you can use any Mac as a desktop controller since the app is also written for the Mac OS. There is no comparison between a whole house setup with the Apple products and the Sonos products. You get what you pay for - trust me. You can have up to 32 zones with the Sonos system. They can all be playing something different or the same thing. I usually have a combination of zones playing the same thing and playing different things. The product is so simple it is scary. It is also rock solid and stable. Don't me wrong I am a HUGE fan of everything Apple. I have every single product they make. I am also a huge Sonos fan. If you are really looking for a seamless and stable whole house digital music solution then you should at least give them each a try. You can always return them if you want to. I really don't think you would return the Sonos though :)

PS - I am not employed by Sonos. Just like the product.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.