Seeking sw app to transfer pics from iphone

Reaction score
I am looking for a software app that will run on a Mac (or a PC) that will connect with an iphone and that
will allow the transfer of pictures from the iphone to the mac. (I am purposely not using with word SYNCH...I want only to transfer). These are NOT pictures taken with the
iphone camera...they were taken by a digital camera, put on the Mac, and then transferred to the iphone.

The problem seems to be, and I am not a 'itunes' user, that attempting to resynch with itunes will wipe
out the pics in the camera. This was verified by speaking with two apple help desk reps. Something about
the pics are stored in a different area on the iphone, than the photos taken by the iphone, and
attempting to use itunes/iphoto will by default, first erase the nvram where the pics are stored.

So, I am looking for a software app, preferably 'freeware', that will download the pictures in their best
resolution, from the iphone to the mac. Any pointers are greatly appreciated...
Thanks
John

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I am looking for a software app that will run on a Mac (or a PC) that will connect with an iphone and that
will allow the transfer of pictures from the iphone to the mac. ...

So, I am looking for a software app, preferably 'freeware', that will download the pictures in their best
resolution, from the iphone to the mac. Any pointers are greatly appreciated...
Thanks
John

Picassa is free and works great. It is what I use on my work PC.

OP
T
Reaction score
Picassa is free and works great. It is what I use on my work PC.

Does Picassa download the pictures on the iphone (Not the pics in photo roll) in the highest resolution possible (e.g. what ever resolution the iphone has them in)????
Thanks
J

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Actually only one s - Picasa

Don't know about pics not in the photoroll - I only have pics taken with my iPhone.

I would think you'd be able to get those pics off your phone by the same method you put them there - assume drag and drop?

It's free, so it's def worth a try.

(And yes, I only sync my iPhone with my Mac - but take a lot of jobsite pics for work that I then download at work to my Win machine there.

Picasa works great - keeps the resolution, file number/naming convention and also maintains the sequence as shot on the iPhone.)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I imagine the default Image Capture should do the job itself? Launch that and see what pictures it sees on the iPhone, I can't imagine it knows/cares about the Photo Roll. Everytime I plug my iPhone to the Mac, I get Image Capture loading and showing me thumbnails of all the pictures on the iPhone..

The default resolution of pictures taken on the iPhone is 1600x1200..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook
Have you considered using iWeb. Create a Mobileme account, then upload your images via an email to the iWeb page.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.