Secret Information?!?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
Is there anyplace other than the browser's main storgge area where our "tracks" are stored. There is in Windows, so that is why I'm asking. If there is a place where those information are stored, is there a way to remove them? Like in Windows, the stuff are stored in RECYCLER and stuff like that. Are the deleted files in Mac stored somewhere else too until they are overwritten? Please help. :doctor:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
tracks? you must mean caches, or cookies, you can use an app like cocktail to remove them, or in safari, command(apple)+option+E, hit enter, to delete cookies, in safari, click safari>preferences, in the advanced tab, click show cookies, then click remove all to delete them.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know about history, cookies, and stuff that can be cleared in Mozilla, Safari, Internet Explorer. But what I mean is that in Windows, even after you delete stuff, it would still be saves in the "empty space" then would just be overwritten when the computer is used more. That is why there are programs that can restore deleted files in Windows. What I am asking is, is there a place in Mac where files are like "stored" where they can be restored until they are overwritten by other data?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no such thing here, mac os x's journaling remembers the file, allowing recovery, but theres no empty space til that space is used that I know of.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So does that mean that there is no need for file recovery programs? Like for example, if you "accidentally" move a file to the recycle bin, and empty it, there is no hope of recovering the files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you can use recovery apps, theyll work, just please dont use anything by norton.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats's what I', Saying. If there is a recovery app, then there must be a place where the files are stored if they are deleted. Do you know if there is a program for Mac that can delete or overwrite those files with "random data"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
journal in os x keeps very small bits, not complete files , no overwriting with random data without erasing the whole hd that I know of. there are a few file recovery apps available.

K

Kokopelli

Learned something new today. You can securely wipe files in your trash can by using Finder => Secure Empty Trash. This overwrites the data with random bits to completely wipe the entry rather than just deallocating the file location.

If the file is already deleted though I am not sure if there is much you could do. There is probably something out there to fill empty space with random bits but I could not find one. Even if I had, I would think twice before trusting it though, one mistake and it could really ruin your day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.