Streaming Music through the Audio Line In

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and I plan on staying around because this looks like a pretty cool site. Anyways, I was wondering if this was possible:

Is there a way to stream audio into my MacBook using the Audio Line In port and play it through my MacBook? Basically, I have an AirPort Express and an old Record Player. I want to be able to plug my record player into my MacBook and have it stream through the AirPort Express to a stereo in another room. I have an apartment and I'd like to be able to have my record player in my room but, if possible, play it through a stereo that is not in my room. Thank you!

Reaction score
In order for this to work, your record player must have an output port. Does this seem to exist on your record player?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
As long as the Record Deck has a built in pre-amp then yes. Without it you will get such a low volume you'd have to crank things right up and you'd have all sorts of background noise too.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and I plan on staying around because this looks like a pretty cool site. Anyways, I was wondering if this was possible:

Is there a way to stream audio into my MacBook using the Audio Line In port and play it through my MacBook? Basically, I have an AirPort Express and an old Record Player. I want to be able to plug my record player into my MacBook and have it stream through the AirPort Express to a stereo in another room. I have an apartment and I'd like to be able to have my record player in my room but, if possible, play it through a stereo that is not in my room. Thank you!

Your record player needs a preamp. The signal is very low and needs some sort of balance amplification.

There are options out there (although they are thin'ing out with the advent of USB turntables). I think then a program like Audacity (and don't quote me on this as I haven't used it for some time) should allow you to select your audio input as a monitoring input, so you can hear it. If it doesn't work then there are other options...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Your record player needs a preamp. The signal is very low and needs some sort of balance amplification.

There are options out there (although they are thin'ing out with the advent of USB turntables). I think then a program like Audacity (and don't quote me on this as I haven't used it for some time) should allow you to select your audio input as a monitoring input, so you can hear it. If it doesn't work then there are other options...

Audacity will allow this yes, as will Audio Hijack. Most older record decks do have a pre-amp, and Bush still make ones with. You can get a good pre-amp for £30 or so though. I have one, and a Bush TT.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yess I do have an amp for the record player. And then I would plug the amp into the line-in port on my Mac.

Is there a way iTunes can play what's going into the line-in? So that I can use the AirPort Express? Or can I connect to my AirPort Express and play the music through Audacity?

Thank you very much for all of your replies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
With Airfoil you can send any audio on your computer to an airtunes device.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.