• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Playing HD video

Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini G4 1.42GHz with 512MB RAM.

I have been using it as a media center / tv replacement. It has been going great but just recently I started to want to view HD movies in 720p. Most of the movies are in .mkv format with H.264 encoding.

I am using VLC to play the movies. My problem is that it seem that the computer is too slow to play the content. The video is extremely jittery, it will play about a second then freeze on that frame.

The video files are fine, I transfered some to my MBP and they all play fine. I was thinking about buying an tv but I don't really want to spend the money if I don't have to. Also it doesn't play .mkv files without modding.

Should my Mac Mini be able to play the HD videos? Is there another format that would work better? Will a simple RAM upgrade fix the problem?

Thanks for any help!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
While specific to QT, I would say that the recommended specs here are probably a good start for understanding what is needed to play HD video.

As listed on that site, the specs recommended for 720p are as follows:
* 1.8 GHz PowerMac G5 or faster Macintosh computer; 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo or faster
* At least 256MB of RAM
* 64 MB or greater video card

Reaction score
Don't use VLC. That's your problem. It bogs down for some reason with .mkv or H.264 codecs.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok, so the computer is slightly underpowered and VLC isn't a good program to use for mkv or H.264.

I'm looking for an Intel Mac Mini on eBay. They're going for about $350. Do you think it would be better to get an tv or a new Mac Mini? If I got the tv I would still have to use my Mac Mini; I use it as a file server.

The tv is about $175 cheaper and money is a big deal right now. If I did switch to an tv I would have to convert movies to .mp4 before I watched them.

Is there a different codec I can convert the movies to that may work better on my current hardware? I don't care if there is surround sound. I just want to keep the HD.

Also, 05GT, what program would you suggest for playing the videos?

Reaction score
I would say get the new mac mini. The apple tv is limited in what you can do. The options are almost limitless with the mini.

All of my HD videos are in .mkv, and watch them using QT. I ran into the same problems you are with VLC. It would slowly as the video played get worse and worse. The audio would become out of sync, and the video would be terrible.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm probably going to get the Mac Mini. I can sell my current one to recover some of the costs. I do want one that has a SATA hdd. I recently upgraded the hdd in my MBP to 500gb so I have an extra 250gb drive I want to put in the new mini.

This is the one I'm lookin at:
Intel Mac Mini, Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive - eBay (item 110419175564 end time Aug-03-09 11:59:31 PDT)

From the looks of this chart on wikipedia, Mac Mini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, any Intel Mac Mini will have a SATA hdd. Is this correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
If I were you, I'd either get a Mac Mini (for most flexibility, and throw Plex Media Center for OS X on it)

or

get:

Welcome To Popcorn Hour - popcorn hour is very powerful with wide playback support (looks like it supports having a bluray drive now even) although its interface I've heard in the past hasn't been the most awe inspiring (don't know if it's been improved - I had looked at one about a year or so ago, but didn't have spare cash to get one)

or

WD TV HD Media Player ( WDAVN00 ) a western digital product - not as capable in terms of network play, but makes it easy if you have content on a thumb drive to hook it in and play. Also fairly cheap and even available at local shops like Best Buy.

Disclaimer: Currently I have a '09 Mac Mini acting as my HTPC using Plex as my front end. I use an apple remote (well, I did until my cat hid the thing) and my ipod touch w/ snatch client (server app on the mini) to control the computer and Plex.

Reaction score
I'm probably going to get the Mac Mini. I can sell my current one to recover some of the costs. I do want one that has a SATA hdd. I recently upgraded the hdd in my MBP to 500gb so I have an extra 250gb drive I want to put in the new mini.

This is the one I'm lookin at:
Intel Mac Mini, Core Duo, 1GB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive - eBay (item 110419175564 end time Aug-03-09 11:59:31 PDT)

From the looks of this chart on wikipedia, Mac Mini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, any Intel Mac Mini will have a SATA hdd. Is this correct?

Where did u buy the 500GB for your MBP?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.