Mac Mini As Media Center - My Setup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Hi all,

A couple of months ago I discovered Plex and tried it out using my 13 - Inch Alu MacBook. The software completely blew me away, this was something I was looking for a long time.

It got to a point where I purchased an Mac Mini just for that purpose. To use it as a home theater hub. I have written a little article about it. I hope you want to take a look?

I want the article to be as correct as possible, and I want more people to get their eyes up for this software. So if you find something wrong please let me know. And oh, English is not my native language, so there might be some grammar errors here and there. I hope that wont put you off. :)

Here is the page: Mac Mini As Media Center, My Mac Mini Home Theater Hub

Reaction score
Nice write-up. They had a similar article in the latest Mac Life magazine. They didn't mention the Plex software though. Thanks for the find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Excellent!

I am planning on doing this very thing, thank you for writing/sharing this.

OP
Strukt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all, I am just glad you liked it. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice job. I have spent the last few months experimenting with this same problem. In my case I used a Mac Pro that had been my primary machine. That's how I found out about Plex. Just now getting around to putting it though its paces. BTW in all of your experimentation have you played with Myth TV or anything similar?

OP
Strukt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Slydude,

I never experimented with Myth TV. I was considering it at a time but I don't think it fits my use.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have been wanting to experiment with that or something similar but have been having trouble getting the configuration working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.