New to the forums..

K

Killer_VCS

Hey every one. I'm new to these forums. I've used Mac's throughout my life, but have finally decided to buy one. I currently run a Windows system (I know...) but am selling it soon to buy a Mac... I didn't know where else to post this, so if it needs to be moved, that's fine...

The thing is, I don't know which one to get. I'll be mostly using it for internet, email, dvd's, burning cds/dvds, and some gaming.. I dosome fairly hardcore gaming on my rig now, and that's the only reason that I have windows around (my main OS is Linux).

Before I start, I'd like to mention that my budget will probably be anywhere around $800-$100 CDN. So please don't offer me to get something out of that.

So anyways, I am tossed up between two Mac's.. The first is an iBook.. I'm looking at picking up a used G3. I don't need it to have a dvd-rom/super drive in it as I have one in an enclosure. Also, hard drive space doesn't matter, so if it has a 30gig, that's fine. I have two 120's sitting around with stuff on them..

Secondly, is the new MacMini. I was looking at getting the 1.42ghz:80gig one, as it's only $750. Clearly this is better than any G3 iBook or PowerBook, but I still want a laptop.. What would you guys do?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Welcome to the board. If you are really into gaming, I would not sell your PC. Most of the gang here will explain to you about the game situation.

As for which system you should buy. I all look at the need, before I make a suggestion. From what you have stated both systems would suit your needs, but the if you don't really need a laptop. Then it would be better to get the Mac mini. You would have a more current system, also you maybe be able to use the current monitor that you have. If you decide to sell your PC, then you will need a monitor and keyboard for the Mac Mini, which is included with the laptop. I would get the latest system I can afford, so I would have some built in growth.

OP
J

jessica

I agree, do not sell your PC if you are SERIOUS into gaming. You can totally game on a Mac but you are limited to a degree. I would go ahead and say the mac mini is the way to go. I just can't see the point in buying a G3 over a mini because you will get more for nearly the same price.

OP
K

Killer_VCS

See, that's the thing... I want a laptop for portability, because it's a pain to drag my rig to a friend's place to do whatever, watch movies, games (mostly nes/snes roms, NFSU2, call of duty, doom 3, etc)... But with a laptop and some portable drives (i have 2x120 portables, and a portable LG 4163B dvd-burner in one also), so I'm good to go.. If I do get around $1000 for my rig, I might jsut save up another $500 to get a G4 iBook.. I don't know.. I mean, I'm at the point where windows is driving me friggin' mad, that's why I use Xandros 3.0.1 OC as my main OS, but still have windows for games.. But I love OSX, I love navigating through it, the dock, menu bar.. I have my windows desktop looking like OSX, so yeah.. I just really want a Mac. I'm sick of windows.. And I'm willing to sacrifice all of my gaming to get away from it..

OP
M

mangoSharingan

Or......just get a PS2 or something if you want to still play games but desert Windows. I would love to sell my Shuttle PC and get a Mac Mini. Only thing that is currently holding me back is that I just bought a DVD-RW burner recently and I'm not too entirely sure about burning/copying stuff on Macs at the mo, since Windows has many excellent burning software like Alcohol 120%, DVD Decrypter, Nero, CDRWIN etc....If I do get the Mac Mini, then I would probably get an external burner (so that I can still use it with the other 2 Windows PCs in the house).

OP
K

Killer_VCS

mangoSharingan said:
Or......just get a PS2 or something if you want to still play games but desert Windows. I would love to sell my Shuttle PC and get a Mac Mini. Only thing that is currently holding me back is that I just bought a DVD-RW burner recently and I'm not too entirely sure about burning/copying stuff on Macs at the mo, since Windows has many excellent burning software like Alcohol 120%, DVD Decrypter, Nero, CDRWIN etc....If I do get the Mac Mini, then I would probably get an external burner (so that I can still use it with the other 2 Windows PCs in the house).

See, that was my plan. I have a dvd-burner and an enclosure ,so that problem is solved for me. My buddy has a G4 iBook (the 1.07ghz version) and he does the same thing with his dvd-burner. He has no problems at all burning dvd's with it. In fact, he burnt me a dvd tonight with some stuff on it and it was perfect. I think he uses Roxio's software.. I know it's crap on windows, but apparently it's REALLY good for Mac, which is to be expected. =D

And about my games.. Most of the ones I like are on Xbox (halo, call of duty, nfsu2, etc), which are the main ones I play.. The other games I have are all the nes/snes roms which I play quite frequent, and I'm assuming there's a Mac emulator out there for them, if not, oh well.. I'll get another windows box eventually, but right now, I need to get away from windows!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
OP
K

Killer_VCS

iWhat said:
As for NES/SNES emulators, I don't know of any for NES, but there is a good one for SNES. It's called SNES9X. And it's free!

Here is a link:
http://chrisballinger.info/public/snes9x/

That's what I use right now on windows, it's a great emulator.. I bought a PSX>USB adaptor and it works perfectly. I wonder if it'd still work with the Mac? I should try it out next time I go to my buddy's place on his G3 iMac.. I just didn't know if SNES9X was for mac or not..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
Wanna ditch windows and still be able to play games and all of your emulators? One site for ya: xbox-scene.com

Me and my xbox (yes I know...OMG! MS Product) are a match made in heaven now...I've got all of my emulators (the only systems I think it can't emulate are very current systems ie. Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube...but there's an emulator that's been ported for the Xbox for just about everything else from Amiga through the Atari and NeoGeo all the way to the PS1), a junkload of my movies, and I can stream content from iTunes and my ReplayTV to it. Oh yeah...and it still plays all of my Xbox games.

Just my two cents.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.