Is Top Sites really necessary?

Reaction score
Hello and nice to meet all of you. :)

I was a Firefox user even though I thought pages in Safari looked ever so slightly better and it was a little less clunky.

When I did use Safari, it was Safari 3. I disliked Safari 4 intensely because of the Top Sites feature. But since I found a neat little app called Safari 4 Modifier which disables Top Sites and removes the button from the bookmarks bar, I now love Safari 4. And it's much faster than Firefox.

So, I ask again: is Top Sites really necessary? And does anyone actually use it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Top Sites are not necessary. If you wish, you do not have to ever display the Top Sites. Personally, I like Top Sites and have it set to my Home Page. Matter of choice. :)

Regards.

Reaction score
I have always liked visual bookmarks. Especially when I can look at the upper right corner and see immediately if there has been any changes. Saves me lot of time on the sites I regularly go to.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, I've been using it since Opera introduced it. The Safari developers have done a bangup job so far in building on the concept.

If you're not interested in this feature - you can go to Preferences and change the function of new tab opening to your choice.

Reaction score
I actually prefer the new Safari. I did have Firefox installed, but hardly ever use it. I have the Top Sites function off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I stopped using a normal homepage. Topsites is my new homepage.

Reaction score
It's not so bad, i only use it because safari doesn't have a drop-down adress bar that shows that sites i usually visit without me having to type them in each time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHZ Intel Quad-Core i7 iPhone 5 16GB, iPad 3 16GB
Personally I do not use top sites I just use the bookmarks toolbar but I think it's a nice feature if people wanna use it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
when I use safari, I have topsites on, but my homepage is about:blank. I find this to be best for me because I don't want to see the top sites all the time. This way, when I click the icon topsites pops up and then I can choose the site I want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.