Windows Installation Problem

Reaction score
Hello. I'm experiencing some problems on Boot Camp when it is trying to install Windows XP. After the program formats the partition, it restarts my computer and then begins the process over again and I'm unable to continue. I've tried removing the CD, but then the screen turns white and I'm left with an application folder with a question mark on it. What can I do to fix this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
When you select the formatting type are you selecting the Quick or the Full option, if your selecting Quick, that's an issue, choose the full....takes some time but I've seen cases where this one point would cause setup to start and restart and restart...also make sure that during that initial reboot your not pressing any keys on the board....that will also make setup restart too as the line of text that appears saying "Press Any Key to start off CD or DVD" means just that, once your past the first step of instalation, the format and initial files, you don't need to be booting off the disc anymore, just the hard drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
When you select the formatting type are you selecting the Quick or the Full option, if your selecting Quick, that's an issue, choose the full....takes some time but I've seen cases where this one point would cause setup to start and restart and restart...also make sure that during that initial reboot your not pressing any keys on the board....that will also make setup restart too as the line of text that appears saying "Press Any Key to start off CD or DVD" means just that, once your past the first step of instalation, the format and initial files, you don't need to be booting off the disc anymore, just the hard drive.

I tried doing this just now, and it just went back to the setup screen. Anything else I can do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
hrmmmm strange....how much space is your Bootcamp partition ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried doing this just now, and it just went back to the setup screen. Anything else I can do?

Sounds like the version of XP you're trying to install is not compatible with Boot Camp. Did you read the Boot Camp instructions? The only copies of XP that will work are: Genuine MS boxed version full install XP Home or Pro SP2 or SP3, OEM System Builders full install of XP Home or Pro SP2 or SP3.

Branded OEM copies will not work, recovery disks and OEM recovery copies will not work. Volume Licensed copies usually will not work. Upgrade copies do not work.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Try reinstalling Mac OS X? I've heard/read from multiple sources that you have to do that after you install another OS on another partition.

Reaction score
Good grief you do not need to reinstall OSX after a Boot camp install, even a failed one. :O However, on occasion, repairing or defragmenting your Mac HD will help, after you restore the hard drive from Boot Camp assistant.

Just be sure you have the right version of XP, delete the failed partition (repair or defrag the disk if need be), and try again with a correct version of XP if that's the issue - and be sure you are following the exact instructions in the Boot Camp installation guide.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.