Can't view any webpages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook (MB404LL/A): 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2GB DDR2 SDRAM
I have a mid 2008 black macbook that recently started to not show any web-pages except the local router config and webmin on the local server, this happens with wifi and ethernet. I can ping anything with 0% loss for hours but still cannot load any sites. I have done a complete reinstall of Leopard 10.5.6 and still the same problem. I have done countless hours of searching for an answer without any results.

Oh, and I have purchased a new router to replace the one i was using and that didn't result in solving the problem. I have also plugged the modem straight into the ethernet on the macbook and that didn't work.

Any help or ideas would be great.

Thanks,
Daryl

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's not a hardware problem. It sounds like your access is being blocked by whoever your ISP is. Are you by chance going thru a proxy? (You mention a local server) Contact your ISP or whoever is controlling your access.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Access is unrestricted, they have set me up a 1 to 1 NAT and the server I am running is an Ubuntu file server that I can access while I'm away from home. I'm trying to find an answer to this on my windows machine, which had the same thing happen to it until I gave up and reinstalled xp on here, and it doesn't have any problems accessing anything on the same router as the mac.

There isn't any hidden areas that would survive after a complete reinstall of Leopard is there?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In addition, I have temporarily installed windows via bootcamp to see if the problem exists there as well... unsurprisingly it did. I have tried everything listed in the basic troubleshooting post and nothing worked there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Think perhaps a question for Ubuntu forums?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It very well may be, I haven't tried to disconnect the file server from the router and see if that changes anything. I do know that the macbook works on a wireless router at my in-laws, as that's what I'm replying on. So, I'm thoroughly confused.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
are you pinging IP's or fqdns?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i can get 0% loss on both, until i ping apple.com then its 100% loss.
all the windows machines and the ubuntu machine works just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.