• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How can I convert m4v to avi? Need help making vcd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13 Inch Aluminum 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB
I need to make a vcd of photos for my mother who is not computer literate. I want her to be able to play it on her dvd player. I made a little movie slideshow with imovie and it's mv4 format and I want to convert it to avi because the program I got online ivcd can't use m4v. At least I don't think so. I tried and it didn't work. I think it needs to be converted first. I found one program but it's the trial version and puts an ugly watermark on the video.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Give Handbrake a try - it's easy to use and free.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I tried handbrake but no luck. I am not sure if I was doing it wrong or what but it just kept saying no valid source found. I wish there was a simpler way to do this. I suppose I could just go buy dome dvds and make a dvd rather than a vcd. I wanted to avoid that though.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I was able to select an m4v file with no issue. Is it a valid and non-corrupt m4v file?

I don't know what you were doing to select the video but when it opens, a open dialog should appear. When it does, simply select the video you want to convert. Note, you will have to change the output format as it defaults to encoding to MP4.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I click on the source button and choose the m4v file. It's not corrupted. I made it with idvd. It plays fine. But then it says "no valid source file found" and I can not proceed further.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I posted this in the wrong place.

I have been going crazy to figure this out. I didn't expect it to be so difficult to find software to convert the original file and then use that same software and or another one to make a vcd.

What I have done so far is find a program that did indeed convert the m4v I made but when I used ivcd trial edition to then make the vcd it didn't work and I wasted a disc. I put it in the dvd player and all it did was show a screen that gave info on the ivcd website. That could have been a matter of me not completely reading the limitations of the trial software. Perhaps it doesn't actually let you get that far but it gave me the option to burn so I don't see why it wouldn't have worked completely. I know my dvd player plays vcd's I have played them in it before.

This would all be much easier if my mom was computer literate but she is not and I know if I give her a disc of 200 photos to put in her boyfriends dinosaur of a computer it will bug out. That's why I wanted to make her the vcd. I made her one a long time ago but I no longer have that software on my PC. It was a very simple software I think it came with an old printer or scanner I used to have. I have just burned the photos to a disc but to have 200 photos developed will not be cheap. This is why I wanted to put them on a disc she could view as a slide show on her tv.

I don't completely understand the handbrake software. But as I said before it just kept saying that there was no valid source code and I don't understand what's going on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.