Mac Mini and TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 DP 1.8 160 Super Drive 17 " Display
I want to put a mini in my kitchen and attach to a monitor/tv like the Viewsonic. I have to use a cable box to watch TV. Would this work? Connect the output of cable box to TV, then connect computer to TV. Would I have to turn computer off when watching TV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Yes that would work. You wouldn't need to turn off the computer because the TV is just on a different input. Kind of like if you have DVD player hooked up to the tv how you just go to a different Video input to watch the DVD

Reaction score
Are you talking about getting an LCD TV? If the TV you get doesn't have a VGA or DVI input then the picture quality will not be good enough to do much of anything with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac 7200/75: Mac OS 7.6.1; iMac 233mhz Mac OS X 10.1.5; PowerBook 180c, Mac OS 7.5.3
Are you talking about getting an LCD TV? If the TV you get doesn't have a VGA or DVI input then the picture quality will not be good enough to do much of anything with.

We do this at church with powerpoint presentations to be put on the TV Screen in the front, for the sermon outline, music, and such. I always have a hard time pulling up the presentations from the desktop as the computer screen on the TV is so blurry and does not look right. It may be that we have to use a Computer to TV convertor and then an RF Modulator to hook up to the TV. And this is a PC we use. ;) -- if you have to use a convertor to hook up to TV, do not mess with it. Just get a monitor that is capable of getting your cable input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.