Should I buy a Mac Pro for Video Editing - software is included

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a pc user - have only used a mac a few times. I am looking to upgrade my current pc mainly because it cannot handle AVCHD files. I enjoy video editing as a hobby for family functions and kids' school projects and would like to become more serious about it. My current computer is so frustrating to use, (using Vegas) that after I import the files I never touch them again - too slow to pull them up, and almost impossilbe to edit. I'm way too impatient. My question is this: I have an opportunity to purchase a new 2009 2.26 8 core mac pro, 8GB ram, 4870, 3TB HD with final cut pro, and almost every other program available for $4,000. The computer alone from apple would be $4600 and with the software, it would be over 10k. For what I'm doing, I think this machine may be overkill, but it seems to be too good of a deal to pass up. It's probably something I can grow into for many years, but the price is killing me. Considering I could buy a very capable pc for around 2k, I'm in agony over the decision. Any advice? Is it a good deal?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're a professional who needs the very best to sustain his business, then the Mac Pro is indeed a very good purchase considering the software that comes with it. However, if you're just into it for the fun or as an amateur, purchasing a capable PC for $2000 less than the Mac Pro makes sense.

Regards.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't think you need a Mac Pro for what you are doing unless you are totally serious about it. Then it would be a good investment. Otherwise an iMac and even the higher end MBPs can do what you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.