Virex???

D

DVD Guy

Where can I get it for a single user? Is there any other better protection out there? I know...Macs have not been targeted but they will be at some point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
DVD Guy said:
I know...Macs have not been targeted but they will be at some point.

Thats what people have been saying for a decade.

Virex has not been available for 1 user in a few years

Reaction score
So if there are no viruses for macs (which I love) then is it even necessary to use Virex?

OP
J

Jefe3223

I got virex with my .mac. I like it. I'm on a network with TONS of windows comps, we send documents back and forth, and I download a lot of little things from the internet.... SO: virex does a fine job for me. Since I have office on my computer (and probably the whole windows things, soon...or not), I like to have it, since some bugs can be sent and attack your comp via virtual pc (or so I was told in macworld or another mag like that).

On the topic of "if they are needed:" that's always up in the air. Some swear by them not (and for good reason; look at our track record), yet others feel safer with it and advacate, sonce mac is becoming more and more popular, that you'll need it eventually. It's good to make your own call. If you use your mac for basic things and w/o v.pc., I think it's ok not to have one. If you trasnfer files with windows alot, you may want to to protect yourself and them.

Reaction score
but if you have a windows virus floating around on your mac and it jumps over the network to your PC, and your PC has a ant-virus, you dont need one on your mac do you?

OP
J

Jefe3223

shaun89 said:
but if you have a windows virus floating around on your mac and it jumps over the network to your PC, and your PC has a ant-virus, you dont need one on your mac do you?

hmm... good question. I guess it depends on how good your virus thing is. Overall, out here, everyone is pretty safe (except they love that LIMEWIRE thing and I just don't trust it, but I digress...). I guess overall you might not need one, then. I didn't mind getting mine, 'cause I wanted the .mac thing and figured that I was down with free virex (free, per se). But, yeah. I'd say as long as virtual pc isn't on your mac, you're safe. (but, like i said, others disagree with me totally).

OP
D

DVD Guy

I need to know which one to use and where to get it. I do not want to debate the do I need it question. I WANT it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Just get VirusBarrier X

http://www.intego.com/home.asp

It really is useless and will just take up more system resources than you need to be using

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've used Norton Anti-Virus for Mac in the past. I didn't notice any performance difference between running Virex or Norton. You might want to check that out also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Norton seemed better to me. I uninstalled it though, as i found it to be totally useless to me on OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.