iMac G3 - flashing question mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermac g4 80gb HD 768mb ram superdrive os x 10.4.11 iPod touch 2nd Gen
Hi, I have an imac g3 and I just bought a new dvd rom for it and after I had installed it and turned the computer on it would start flashing between the macintosh symbol and a question mark. It worked fine before. Does anyone know what I did wrong. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You had it installed or did it yourself? First up crack her open and check all cables are securely attached and that the jumpers have been set correctly.

OP
Powermac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I installed it myself and from what i can see their is a cable that goes from the HD to the dvd rom and finally to the computer itself, and then another cable that gets power to the HD. Are their any other cables that I missed. Thanks

OP
Powermac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And by the way what are jumpers?

OP
Powermac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For some reason my new dvd drive does not have a slave-master switch but i see where it should be. My old cd drive Does have a slave-master switch. would this have anything to do with my new drive not having an adaptor and having to use my old one? Thanks :)

Reaction score
I do not know of any IDE drives with out a jumper. If its not on the back,look on the bottom of the drive. They will be much smaller than the standard size jumper thats on the back. They may say PK instead of master. If you can not set the jumper the same as the old drive you will need to find another drive or its not going to work. You can always use an USB or Firewire external.

OP
Powermac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can see where the switch should be, their is a hole and the words slave-master on it but no switch, which is weird. also do you know if having to use my old drives adaptor would make it not work. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is not an actual switch merely tiny metal posts on which the plastic coated jumper sits. Look at the photo in this link and you ill see the white jumper marked as Master/Slave:-

Anatomy of an Optical Drive | Hardware Secrets

OP
Powermac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the photo now i know what a jumper is. I will try it out and see what happens. Thanks again :D

OP
Powermac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I looked at the jumper and from what I can see it is all ready set to master. when I start up my computer it doesn't recegnize the HD at all, like if I start it up with out the HD or the dvd drive pluged in I does the same thing, and when I plug my old cd drive and the HD in it starts up fine. Is the adaptor I put on on new drive from my old drive the problem or what? Thanks for the help

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok I looked at the jumper and from what I can see it is all ready set to master. when I start up my computer it doesn't recegnize the HD at all, like if I start it up with out the HD or the dvd drive pluged in I does the same thing, and when I plug my old cd drive and the HD in it starts up fine. Is the adaptor I put on on new drive from my old drive the problem or what? Thanks for the help

Here's something to consider. You never mentioned what model G3 iMac you have...but the early G3 iMac's did not have a DVD drive (it was a CD only drive)...so trying to install a DVD drive may not be compatible in some way.

This may be a long shot idea...but something you could look into.

- Nick

OP
Powermac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My computer is a 400mhz imac g3 ruby slot loading, with 10gb HD and 256mb ram, runing on os x 10.2.

Ok I looked in to it and I think it would normally work but I think I am going to return the dvd drive, and maybe get a diffrent one somewhere else.

Thanks to all!!! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok I looked in to it and I think it would normally work but I think I am going to return it, and maybe get a diffrent one somewhere else.

Thanks to all!!! :D

Are you returning the DVD drive or the iMac?

It must be remembered that although Apple & Wintel computers share a lot of common hardware these days...there was a time when hardware made for "Wintel" computers WAS NOT compatible with Apple computers.

So it's quite possible that the DVD drive that was purchased is not compatible with an iMac G3...that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-9 years old.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Once you find a drive that works with your Mac. The jumper needs to be set to slave as the Hard Drive will be the master. There on the same ribbon and can not share the same id. Many slot load Imacs came with DVD drives. Take a search on Ebay for one.
eBay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.