Mail Keeps Asking For Password

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2GB
Hey guys, two of my accounts are continuously asking for my password though the Mail app. Each one happens to be a Netfirms hosted email account, so that could be part of it.

I've looked into the Netfirms FAQs about this issue, and it forwards you to this discussion on the Apple site. It has been archived, yet unanswered.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Mail keeps asking pop3 password ...

Is there any way to stop these prompts without switching email providers?

Thanks in advance,

Carson

OP
sholdzy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2GB
Yes, and I get my emails fine, as well as send them out. If I don't enter it I can't connect to the server.

Reaction score
Try changing the interval to 5 min. or 15 min. If this doesn't work, consider trying a new mail software, such as Thunderbird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And go into Mail > Preferences > Accounts and make sure a password has been entered for incoming mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, Imac g3 spec edition
Harry B has got a point. I have had the same issue a few times. Go to preferences and click on advanced and check the authentification mode. It shall be password . if you read APOP it´s wrong.
I have never found out the reason why the authentification mode changes by itself . Bud in applae mail maybe.
Change back to password in the box .In my preferences the SSL box is checked and portnumber is 995.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any joy Carson?

OP
sholdzy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2GB
Nope. The password was entered there and it was correct. The authentication was also Password, so that's not the issue.
It does so happen that the port on each one is 110. I do have another account (for school) at 110, and it works fine. I'll try changing it to 995 and see if that helps.

Thanks for the advice

OP
sholdzy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2GB
No luck. Port 995 doesn't allow me to connect at all for the accounts having the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give your ISP a call as sounds like they are blocking Port 110. If you go into System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS does it show the machine IP grayed out and the Primary and Secondary Addresses for you ISP?

If not ask them for the addresses and enter by hitting the '+' button.

OP
sholdzy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2GB
I'll have to give that a try tomorrow, as it sounds more promising than any other potential solutions.

I take my laptop to work as well, and the same problem occurs - although it's less common.

Thanks.

Reaction score
resurrecting old thread in lieu of a new one

just got my G5 back from the tech, who resolved a conflict (corrupted font file of all things) that had caused headaches. In the process, a few things were reverted back to where they were when i bought the machine 4 years ago. I remember being very agitated with the Mail, when I clicked on links to send email, and being prompted for a password. I only use one password, and I enter it and it is rejected when I try to send mail.

First of all, I don't even want to use the mac server, I want to use my ISP mail, I only want one single email account. Second, at some point, I did manage to get the **** thing to bend to my will. Question is, how do I do that again? I've got a lot on my plate right now, and just do not feel like wrestling with the **** machine at this point. Third of all, I do not want to have to put in a freaking password every time I sent an email. Who was the bloody rocket scientist who thought this was a good idea?

Reaction score
possible solution

I had the same problem- mail kept asking for a password. Even when I entered it I could not send or receive email. I tried everything. Finally I went to disk utility, and did a repair permissions, and then rebooted. After that everything was back to normal. No more requests for a password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.