Can someone help me with setting up my email?

Reaction score
I purchased a macbook pro the other day and I tried to set up my email on Mail and it won't connect. I was able to set it up on my ipod successfully.But on my macbook, it sits there saying "checking connection to mail server "smpt-server.rochester.rr.com" forever. Eventually it says it can not connect. Can anyone help me out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
You probably have a setting wrong someplace. Look at whatever instructions you have for SMTP server. Check all of the settings in Mail. If you're convinced nothing is wrong, try Postbox.

Welcome to Postbox
They're on the last BETA. It's a nice client!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I purchased a macbook pro the other day and I tried to set up my email on Mail and it won't connect. I was able to set it up on my ipod successfully.But on my macbook, it sits there saying "checking connection to mail server "smpt-server.rochester.rr.com" forever. Eventually it says it can not connect. Can anyone help me out?
Who's your provider?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

This is the hardware section of the website...a better place would be the software section.

- Nick

Reaction score

In your post, you spelled the server name wrong. It should start with smtp. Did you misspell it in the settings?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I was able to set it up on my ipod successfully.But on my macbook, it sits there saying "checking connection to mail server "smpt-server.rochester.rr.com" forever.
I agree with rsmithgi - you may want to look at the spelling of your SMTP server. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.