Authorize software install?

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was under the impression that when new software was being installed on a Mac, that the OS would always ask for the admin password.
I have recently added new software, and this hasn't happened.
Have I forgotten how this works, or could something be wrong?

Thanks
Neil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you have just dragged an app from a disk image to Applications, then you are installing manually and no user prompt will appear

If the app uses an installer then it will prompt you for permissions (to stop any apps trying to automatically install without manual help)

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for that.
So that means that, if someone managed to embed a virus in an application (I know they supposedly don't exist but.....), then there is no security except your own awareness of knowing where the application acme from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
^Pretty Much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Thanks for that.
So that means that, if someone managed to embed a virus in an application (I know they supposedly don't exist but.....), then there is no security except your own awareness of knowing where the application acme from?

What you describe is exactly how the few Mac trojans out there can spread. But since they rely on active user participation, they have never really taken hold

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This is no different than Windows where no password is required to install software. You will notice though that the first time you run software, you are asked if you are aware of the software (forget exactly what it says right now) and asked if you trust it. Just ensure that you download software from sources that are trustworthy. For instance, download Firefox from Mozilla and not M0z1lla. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you're an Administrator, then there will be no password prompt when you drag an application to the Applications folder.

If you are a normal user, then you will have to authenticate with an administrator's account before adding or removing anything from the Applications folder. This is why it is recommended that you do not use an Administrator's account for daily use.

Of course, there is no way to prevent you from installing a trojan (which is the real name for "a virus that pretends to be a normal program".) If you are bound and determined to do something dumb, there are only so many warning messages a computer can display.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you Technologist,
That was the reminder I needed. Good explanation.
Also, thanks to all for your valuable input.

Neil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.