• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Printer will not print with Adobe Illustrator and InDesign CS

T

Tigger_0016

I posted this on MTKA, but they seem to be at a loss there too. Maybe I can get some insight here? Thanks for the anticipated help. Sorry if it is in the wrong place :D

I bought an Epson Stylus CX4600. It is Mac compitable according to the box and the website. (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=46048266) I am having problems getting it to print from Adobe InDesign CS and Illustrator CS. The print job starts, then it stops and will continmue to stop if I restart the print job. It prints from everyother program I have but those two. I am running OS X.

I called the store where I bought it from (CompuSmart), and they suggested that I may need updates for CS and possibly driver updates from Epson. I did all that and nothing.

I emailed Epson with all my stats and program versions and such I was was given this as a reply.

"Thank you for contacting the Epson Connection. In order to print from In Design you will need to purchase out RIP software which can be found on our website under software."

Talk about a ****ty reply but that is another story.
When I go to the link (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...UseBVCookie=yes&oid=1567225&category=Software)

It clearly states that it is not OS X compitable. I clearly stated that I was using OS X in my original email I sent to them. Retards.

I called the guy at CompuSmart, and he was just as confused as I was. The box says Mac compitable so one would think that all components for this printer would also be compitable but I guess nowt. They also came to the conclusion that OS X does not support PostScript.

So now I have a printer that is useless even if I fork out the $145 US for the software that Epson tells me I need, but wont work. Also, the printer I have is not even listed on the compitable printers for the RIP software.

I am at a complete loss. I am waiting for the local apple support guy, (provided to me by CompuSmart) to call me back and save me from this ****.

The Apple support guy rocked! He suggested IProofSystem Power Rip- (called and it works with os 10 but not with the cx4600 ) Called Epson, realling hating them now! Said that the email I got (see above) was false because there is no RIP software that supports cx4600 and the one they suggested does not even support os 10

I can get it to print now. But I have to save the .ai files ect as a .pdf then print it in adobe. I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THIS!!!! Now I need 2 copies of everyfile. A HUGE PAIN IN THE ***!!!!!!

I also tired this http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3 but it does not support cx4600
i guess I will keep looking

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
you don't need rip software. this sounds like a problem that is with illustrator and indesign. are you using color management? have you deleted their preferences or tried reinstalling them? is the correct printer selected when the printer dialog box comes up?

OP
T

Tigger_0016

Macman said:
you don't need rip software. this sounds like a problem that is with illustrator and indesign. are you using color management? have you deleted their preferences or tried reinstalling them? is the correct printer selected when the printer dialog box comes up?

Yes the correct printer is selected...
I am pretty sure I am using the right colour managemnet settings.
What do you mean by "deleting thier preferences or re-installing them"?

Edited to add....
All of the colour management settings are dissabled.

SOURCE SPACE
Untagged CMYK

PRINT SPACE
Profile (disabled)
Intent (diabled)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, look in here:
mac hd>users>your username>library>preferences>adobe illustrator cs settings and adobe indesign. delete both of these folders, then repair permissions, restart, and try it.
and by reinstalling, I meant reinstalling illustrator cs and indesign cs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, mac hd on desktop, then users, then your username, then library, then preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I might be on in a little while, around 7cst.

OP
T

Tigger_0016

Ok I found them. Thanks. Now how do I go about repairing the permissions?
Step by step. I am not used to the mac's yet. I have most windows problems down pat :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, to repair permissions after deleting those folders, open mac hd, then applications, then utilities, and open disk utility, in disk utility, after it says gathering info, select your hd in the left column, then click repair disk permissions towards the bottom center of that window. let it run, when its done, restart and try to print from one of those apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im on now, I shouldnt say that, chat tabs will open up like no tomorrow.

OP
T

Tigger_0016

Macman said:
Im on now, I shouldnt say that, chat tabs will open up like no tomorrow.

Added you to my yahoo
Love_bug_06_16

I did all that and still nothing. It starts to send the print job, then it stops it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.