Installing Parallels 4.0 - how do I shut down virtual machine?

Reaction score
I am installing Parallels 4.0 and during the installation, it says I have to shut down the virtual machine currently running Windows XP. I can't figure out out to do this, as my Parallels 3.0 won't even boot up.

How can I access the virtual machine so I can set it down? (I believe it is currently suspended)

Reaction score
Shutting Down the Virtual Machine

I had the same problem as reflex, but I think i figured out how to shut down the virtual machine.

Start up Parallels 3.0 and click the play icon to activate the program from its suspended state.

Then go into the Parallels/Preferences menu and under the general tab set the stop button to shut down (instead of suspend).

Then return to the virtual machine and click the stop button. Now it will shut down the virtual machine instead of suspending it and you can proceed with Parallels 4.0 installation.

Good luck.

pcmendy

Reaction score
I have a similar problem having installed OS 10.6. and trying to install Parallels 4.

However, Parallels 3 will not start under 10.6, so I still cannot stop the virtual machine - any ideas appreciated? Thanks

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue as mackjak:

3931336463_0275c58279.jpg

That message pops up right away when I try to open Paralelles. I tried deleting my Paralells 3.0 with no luck. :-(

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reaction score
same same

same problem. can't open parallels 3.0 since i have snow leopard. how else can i shut down virtual machine? thanks...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.