Videos, Youtube and Mac

Reaction score
Since I can go to Youtube and watch a favorite video - is there any advantage to downloading the files? Obviously they are easier to get to and can be viewed without being online. Trouble is, I am always reluctant to grab any free download program. So are there any good, safe ones out there? I used Veoh on my PC, but either it or Windows caused a few hang-ups. Will QuickTime play Youtube formats? Any need for any of the other players like Real?

I pretty much have the Mac file structure figured out - but if I download videos - wont’ they go automatically to the downloaded folder? I would want to establish a Youtube folder to hold them.

In general, how is the best way to determine safe downloads for the Mac - both apps and data?

OP
R
Reaction score
More on Video

I am still trying to get set up to play offline-downloaded videos. I said before I really liked Veoh on the PC. Downloaded their Mac player and Flash 10.0

For some reason the Veoh player is not being recognized. I select download on the Veoh site and it says download the player. It is installed.

Any ideas why the Mac isn't picking it up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It should have downloaded a VeohWebPlayer.dmg file to your downlaod folder

Double clicking this will mount a Veoh Web Player disk image to your desktop, you can copy the app to your applications folder to install the app

OP
R
Reaction score
Still No Go

I have apparently downloaded and installed the Veoh Web Player 3 times. It is in the applications - but still is not recognized when I try to download a Veoh file. Is there a setting somewhere which is not allowing Veoh to be recognized?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
I for one don't download videos per se. If I watch something on Youtube that I want to keep, I simply open the Firefox cache, copy out the file (which of course will be given some random hex filename), add the .flv extension and I'm done. My Adobe media player plays .flv files just fine.

The Firefox cache is located at: [username]\library\caches\firefox\profiles\XXXXXXX.default\Cache\

This method is a bit of a pain compared to direct "downloading" but in this way, I don't have to add some additional application (which I'm usually reluctant to do anyway, when it comes to media players, etc.).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have apparently downloaded and installed the Veoh Web Player 3 times. It is in the applications - but still is not recognized when I try to download a Veoh file. Is there a setting somewhere which is not allowing Veoh to be recognized?
This might be a stupid question but have you launched the application?

Reaction score
Web Player does not work

I am having the same problem. I downloaded the player and installed it twice. It restarted Firefox to complete the installation, like it said. I clicked to start Veoh Web Player.app, a window opens and closes immediately, nothing stays in the dock for it.

I play the video in Firefox, and all I can get is the 5 minute preview with a message telling me to download and install the Veoh Web Player.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.6, i7, 8G Ram, OS X 10.10, iPhone 6 Plus
I know I am new, but is it a correct statement that Leopard will have the ability to do this without any plug-ins/add-ons?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.