Time Capsule & "Host Name" cable internet: Howto?

Reaction score
Dear people,

I got this problem, which I guess it supposed to be pretty easy to solve:

I've used the Time Capsule for a long time with an adsl-internet connection without any problems. I now want to install it somewhere else, and I now use a different ISP: cable-internet that uses a "dynamic user IP" aka "host name" for identification.

A current (old) router is using the following settings to receive internet:

jifju0.jpg

Question: How/where can I enter this information into the Time Capsule?

I can only find a place to enter PPPoE information or an Ethernet-option that gives me place to enter a static IP address. Both don't have the magic "host name" box....

Any experience?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini "Lion", iPad2, iPod Touch
Do you need a "Host Name"?

I'm actually in the UK with Cable broadband, but the Host Name field in my routers has always been left blank and it isn't allocated by DHCP.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm in the Netherlands; the code in the host-name field is really the only thing that identifies me. It is *the* number where my isp is looking for..

I'm not very sure "host name" is the correct name for the code, but I'm absolutely positive that the code that was entered in the host name box in my old router is the code that my isp wants to see...

OP
B
Reaction score
This is btw how the setup page of the time capsule looks like:

20h0g1x.png

"DHCP Client ID" as well as "Domain Name" appear to be useless in this case...

What I expected was a "Cable Modem" option in the "Connect Using" options, but there is only PPPeO and ethernet...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Connect using: Ethernet - will be the correct setting.

It looks as though you do not have the TC attached to the modem supplied by your ISP. The TC is not a modem and you will not be able to attach it direct to the line coming into your house without first going into a modem and from there to the TC via ethernet.

If it is connected to the modem - on the above screen click the update button.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well, I understand it should be connected to the cable coming from the modem, it was actually like that:

The cable from the wall is a coax-cable, that goes into the cable-modem. Then, this modem has an ethernet-cable that goes into a router. Right now it is connected to an old router, but the only thing I do, is switching the WAN cable from the old router to the Time Capsule. I just have no clue how to set this TC machine up.

I see your point that the modem itself should do the identification, and not the machine hooked-up to the modem. Anyway, I guess I have a strange isp who does this kind of alternative identification..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The top two lines of the TC should be exactly what you have there - Ethernet and Using DHCP.

Click the update button - close out of Airport Utitlity.

Unplug the TC.

Reset the modem - unplug it for 30 seconds - plug it back in - wait until it's lights are back on.

Make sure the ethernet cable is plugged into the TC.

Then turn on the TC.

(You can't typically go moving that ethernet line from one router to another without resetting the modem. Most of them just won't respond that way in figuring out there is a new router it's connected to and hand out a new IP address.)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
glad to help - i'm not always the best at network stuff

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.