Installed a new internal hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Minis, iPhone 6/5S, iMac, Mac Book Pro
After doing a lot of research on this forum and elsewhere, I decided to buy a 320 gig 7200 rpm Seagate Momentus internal hard drive. I was pretty nervous about doing this myself, but the idea of saving a bundle of $ pushed me on.

I bought the drive from OWC and was very happy with their service. Their web site has very well done step-by-step videos showing how to make the upgrade. The only time I got somewhat bogged down was after removing the 21 screws from my 15" MBP (Santa Rosa) and then popping up the keyboard. There are some clips along the front edge; one of which proved a little troublesome to pop open. I was paranoid about bending and braking, but it finally came loose.

This was a straight-forward upgrade. I can't tell you how relieved I was to hear the start-up chimes and see the apple logo upon booting up.

In all, I saved almost exactly $200 by doing this myself.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The internet is great. Especially when you can find tutorials on almost anything.

Congrats. ^^ I have the same HDD, and it's already almost full. I think it's time to get a bigger HDD. >_<"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.