Question about Disk Utility

Reaction score
When I run the disk utility to repair permissions, which drive to I click on. The first one that has a number (74GB) or the one indented below it that says Macintosh HD. Also, how often do I run the repair permissions? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks, Holly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It doesn't matter which one you click, they both will repair permissions for the same drive.

As for how often, I usually recommend before and after any large software installs or whenever your computer may start acting weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
also after software updates, os updates, or security updates.

W

Wally

Im not a mac user yet.. still pc guy... what does repair permissions do?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
unix is permissions based, meaning the system gives 'permission' for example, to apps to open certain files, etc, when adding new apps and system components, these permissions
are sometimes changed, repairing them repairs them, or gives permission to the correct apps and users to do things.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
To take what Macman said a little farer. Every file on the has permissions set to some thing. This is done to be able to limit access to certain files.

I believe then software is loaded on the system certain files and folder have their permissions changed to make it easier to update, or the files.folder that are changed may have the wrong permissions set.

It is for that reason I believe that you need to repair file permissions after each update or install.

You can go to the terminal window and do a man on chmod if you want to know more about file permissions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.