Windows File Sharing Folder Name Error

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to the forums but I really need help and I was hoping someone could help?

I’m using a Mac os x server. We are having problems with the Windows file sharing. When we share drives they share fine. But on windows machines some of the folders in these drives have problems. Some of the folders names in the share have different names.

For example in one folder we had a folder called “PROPOSALS” this is fine on the Mac workstations but on windows machines the folder name will show completely different on windows. The folder proposals showed as “PDJ45~6H”. This has happened all over the share to loads of folders at random. Thats not all though if we tried to open these folders we get an error saying that it’s not accessible.

This has happened all over the server meaning loads of data is inaccessible by some of us on windows machines. What is causing the problem and what can I do to sort this out?

Thanks Tom

Reaction score
i guess you need a program called MacDrive on Windows machines. With this program, Windows can recognize all partition/workstation/folders.. from your Mac Server.

try this!

Reaction score
Repost with shorter URL?

The previous post says there is a solution but the URL path did not post properly. Would it be possible to repost, breaking the URL into separate lines,or to use TinyURL or simliar?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.