Need to burn photos to disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13 Inch Aluminum 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB
I just want to burn some photos to a disc and I am having a really hard time. I went to Apple support and followed the directions to burn a Windows friendly disc since this will be for my mother.

The first time I had lots of trouble. Kept getting an error 0x80020000. Finally I figured that maybe there was too much to fit on the disc so I tried again and didn't put as many photos on it this time. It worked but for some reason it could not verify the disc and said that it might not have worked. I popped it in and the photos appear so it must have worked despite that.

Now I am trying to get the second half of the photos onto another disc and I am having a heck of a time. Getting the same error time after time.

Like I said I am following the directions per Apples site so I don't see what's wrong. I put the disc in-open iphoto-select photos to export-export to the disc-close iphoto-go to disc and select burn. Then the error comes. This is maddening!

Can anyone help me? This is the first time I have tried to do anything like this and honestly I thought it would be much easier. Could it be the discs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It could be the discs, but I have found that using the burn function is a real pain sometimes so never use it.
Download Burn

Burn - Home

And try and use that to burn a windows friendly data disc. This should work without a hitch.
One other thing to do though, make sure you clean you're disc burner. It can often be a dirty laser causing errors.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could be the discs, but I have found that using the burn function is a real pain sometimes so never use it.
Download Burn

Burn - Home

And try and use that to burn a windows friendly data disc. This should work without a hitch.
One other thing to do though, make sure you clean you're disc burner. It can often be a dirty laser causing errors.

Ill give that a try thanks. I doubt the disc burner is very dirty my mac is not even a month old yet. It could be the discs as they are old but still...I am finding this method I'm using very confusing and every time I try a new disc it shows up in the finder so I don't even know which is which anymore. Why are they showing up even after ejected?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do I select pc from the drop down menu? I made the first disc not realizing that I hadn't done this and made in Mac hfs so I tried again and selected PC and it will not work stating internal error. The Mac disc worked fine but I am worried she won't be able to use it. Basically she's taking it to costco to get photos developed. Still even if the can use it this is aggravating. I would like to be able to burn discs from time to time and not resort to my pc to do so.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know I was doing it correctly using the first method so I just don't understand this. There was plenty of room on the disc for the amount of data I was trying to burn. I don't understand why when I used Burn just now it made the mac hfs disc no problem very quickly and not at all when I selected PC. I'm going to get some new discs and try them. The ones I have are old and perhaps not the best quality. Does anyone know if Costco and print photos with a disc that is mac compatible? If not I definitely need to get this figured out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
My sister-in-law had a similar problem and after having tried two different burn apps and three different CD-brands we took it to the Apple-store and they had to replace the CD-drive. It could read discs ok though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
As far as I know, if you burn discs as data you can read them on any system, PC or Mac. I have done tons of MP3 discs for friends without being specific and they work fine as drag and drop discs.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I sure hope this isn't something that will warrant a trip to Apple. I'll try the disc in my pc tomorrow and see if it works. I'm on the other side of the house now and it's shut down. It's just frustrating. I figured it would be a breeze. My pc is a pain in the butt to burn stuff with. I don't know why either. The drive works just fine it seems. Maybe it is these discs. They're old and I never had much luck with them on my pc. Sometimes they would work and other times no. My pc is pretty decent too. A fast machine with a decent burner so makes me think it's the discs. At least I sure hope so. They're phillips brand. Are those lousy or what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've used Philips before with no probs, but if they are old and been in a humid environment they will deteriorate.

Reaction score
Greetings

I don't know if this will help, but when you go through the burn process, is there a drop down box which gives you burn speed options? Does is default to 'Best'? If so, ignore this and change it to say, 4X.

It might help.

Let us know if it works for you.

Cheers Mitcherooney

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello, thanks. Yes there is s drop down box. I tried that by selecting the lower speen 8x and no luck still these errors. The discs are old but they have not been in any kind of humid environment at all. This is so frustrating. I think I will call Apple. I am still in the 90 day time frame for phone support. I tried putting the disc I made into my pc and it recognizes the disk and even says it's full but no images appear. When I insert it into my mac no problems I can see them. But this won't do since I'm giving the disc to my mother. I am so annoyed with this I can't even tell you.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I just thought I would update everyone just in case someone else has this issue in the future. I called Apple and they were very helpful however unable to resolve my issue. They walked me through some different solutions and nothing seemed to work. So basically they told me this is either a hardware issue or a software issue. To find out which I need to run a hardware test which I have yet to do. I can call them back when I'm done with the result. Or not. The phone support person made me an appointment at my local Apple store. I'm still under warranty so whatever the problem is should be covered correct? Still this is a headache. This is a brand new machine. Anyway, I don't have an external hard drive ( I know, I know) so I used a 16 gb flash drive to back up my itunes which thankfully is only at 10 gb at present since this is a new machine. The only other thing I am concerned about is photos which I backed up to an sd card since there are not many. So I'm all set should this be a software issue and they need to reinstall my OS. What I am not happy about is my brother laughing at me because I just spent over a grand on this machine and his refurbished, Windows based laptop is still running great and he paid 300 for it online. Hhhmm....I am not a happy camper right now. Now I have to drag my behind to the mall and spend the afternoon waiting for them to hopefully resolve this issue for me and I can think of about a thousand things I would rather be doing. With my luck they will tell me they need to keep the machine for a while and I will be stuck without it.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: rand hardware test and no issues were found. Must be a software issue? I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another update: Resolved OS did not like file names

Ran the test called apple and let them know the result. Rep told me that the test doesn't give results on the optical drive so that doesn't mean that there isn't a problem with it. I don't understand why the previous rep told me to run the test then....anyway, rep suggested I go ahead and keep my appointment at the Apple store so they can troubleshoot the machine and take appropriate action.

After I got off the phone I decided to check out the file names and see if there were any strange characters that would perhaps cause the os to bug out when attempting to burn. I just went ahead and renamed them all to whatever. I then went back and attempted to burn again and voila! it worked like a charm. Disc reads fine in both my mac and my pc.

My question. Why didn't either of these apple reps think about this in the first place? I am obviously no expert and I figured it out on my own. I feel that apple needs to address this issue in their OS. The error that pops up should specify that the file names are the problem rather than stating unknown error.

They had me thinking my optical drive was bad and I have spent a whole afternoon on the phone, backing up, and two trips to office depot for new discs and a flash drive all because of file names.

What I am not sure about is what character in the file names offended the OS. I only saw letters, numbers, underscore and periods. There were perhaps some parentheses but not sure. Anyone know what it could have been?

Hopefully this will help someone in the future so that they don't have to go through this headache for nothing. At least I don't have to make a trip to Apple now.

Should I call Apple and tell them I figured this out? I can't be the first person with this specific issue and resolution. It would seem to me they would address it once and for all. At least in the form of a pop up to let you know the specific issue is the file names.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you solved it call and cancel yes.
Weird characters in file names will throw programs off kilter, but usually only if it's in the extension.
Glad you fixed it.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks I called and canceled the appointment so hopefully someone else can use the time slot. They're usually pretty busy at the store near me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.