Macbook unibody 13.3", can I part it out?

Reaction score
So about a month ago lightning struck my house. We lost a lot of electronics at our house, desktop, tv's, phones, router, modem, clocks. A bunch of stuff. Including my new macbook!! But when all was said and done, the insurance check came back and i was able to get the newer MBP w/ backlit keyboard and also the free iTouch which was a nice little benefit. Still sucks I didn't have anything but an old desktop for a month. bleh.

So took the computer to a local computer shop, ran tests. motherboard is fried. So now I have 2 questions:

1) Would apple fix it and would it cost me? If i could salvage it I could sell it and make up the difference I lost on insurance. (only got $800 back for the laptop :( )

2) Could I dissemble it and sell off individual parts? It was only two weeks old the thing looks great, just a bad motherboard now. I can't use the battery in the new one since its not really convienent to take out the battery on the updated model.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
wel i gues you can but i would make sure that the parts you are selling work.
you could defentialy sell the case and keybord im guessing.

You're doing a lot of "guessing"!

An honest person sells:

- working parts as working
- non-working parts as non-working
- and parts you are unsure of as "not sure"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

You can always advertise the machine as is - explaining what happened and what's wrong with it. Someone may be interested in purchasing it to repair or for parts. I do not recommend disassembling it unless for some reason you can't sell it as is.

And to everyone else:

Lesson to be learned here = unless you have the type of home owner's insurance that allows for separate scheduling of items, most insurance companies will not reimburse the full amount of value loss. And, if it's like it is here in Texas, home owners policies generally carry a 1% deductible on the full value of the home + contents. If your home + contents are valued at $200,000.00 the deductible is $2000.00!

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
If just the logic board is fried, you can still sell:

The HDD (if it isn't fried)
The keyboard
The case
The display
The trackpad
The CD drive (if it isn't fried)
The battery
The RAM (if it isn't fried, though you won't get much for it since RAM is cheap new these days; and I know you didn't have 8GIG since that's $$$)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Apple would not repair the Macbook under warrantee if it obviously suffered lightening damage. Quite often lightening damage will damage more than the logic board. Unless parts are swapped out or replaced, with a dead logic board it's impossible to tell if other parts are good. You would have to state the true condition if selling it for parts. Re the post above, if a white Macbook, the keyboard and trackpad are both incorporated into the top case / keyboard assembly, so couldn't be sold separately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.