Restore apps, data to fresh iTunes install from iPod Touch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st Gen MacBook; 2G Mac Mini
Hello,

Due to a harddrive failure, I've lost all my iPod Touch apps and data. (iTunes Library was on an external drive, so the music is not an issue. However all the iPod Touch apps and data were in the local Music/iTunes directory, so have been lost.)

I am most concerned with the data - contacts, notes, etc. currently on the Touch. I have already imported all the music back into iTunes from the external HD, but I have not yet connected the Touch. I have checked "Disable automatic syncing" in iTunes preferences. If I attempt to sync, will the iPod automatically restore the apps and data (including contacts)?? Or should I use one of the 3rd party utilities (Senuti, etc.) to restore the apps and data back to my new copy of iTunes?

Thanks, and yes, I will be backing up religiously from this point forward...

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
Apps downloaded from the App Store are stored in Music:iTunes:Mobile Applications. So unless you have also moved that to an external drive, they are lost.

The Data, contacts, calendar, mail etc are synced with their respective apps in OS X. The easiest way of backing those up is having a MobileMe account, but if you don't and right now those apps are blank, then that is what your iPod Touch will be... blank.

OP
applewax
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st Gen MacBook; 2G Mac Mini
Here's an update: I posted this same question on the Apple forums and I got one reply that seems to have provided a partial solution:
1) in iTunes > Preferences > Devices, check the "Disable automatic syncing"
2) connect your iPod Touch. When I did this, the iPT reported "Sync in Progress", so I immediately slid the "Slide to Cancel" slider on the iPT.
3) Now in iTunes, right-click on the iPT in the Devices list on the left and select "Backup". This took about 10 minutes.
4) Next I once again right-clicked on the Touch in the Devices list and this time selected "Restore Purchases". I thought it might restore all the apps - it does not. It restored 30 or so songs and videos I "purchased" for free from the weekly "Free on iTunes" section.

In iTunes, with the Touch still connected, I next clicked on the iPT in the Devices list then browsed through the tabs - music, video, photos, info, etc. Nothing was checked to sync. On the Info tab, I checked the box to sync my contacts, held my breath, and clicked "Apply". A dialog appeared asking if I wanted to Merge the contacts on the iPT with those in iTunes, or Overwrite. I selected "Merge". I chose wisely - all my contacts were restored to iTunes and also to Address Book.

I believe the next step is to do a "Restore" iPod Touch. This will wipe the iPT, but it should then give me the option to Restore from Backup, using the backup I created in Step 3, above. I may try this tonight. At this point, I've got my contacts back, so I think the worst is I lose all the apps and their data (but I would think they would be preserved in the backup?). If they are lost, I should be able to re-download the several that I actually paid for from the app store, right? (As I mentioned in the OP, the music is not an issue - it's all on an external drive.)

Any thoughts? Please advise...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
To answer the last question, you would be able to re-download all your apps free of charge.

You may also want to try the iTunes feature "Check for Available Downloads" or "Check for Purchases".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro: 17", iPod Touch: 1st generation
iLaw is right about being able to re-download apps.

While upgrading my iPod software, a crash forced me to restore my iPod to factory settings. I lost all of my purchased apps. iTunes seemed to have no record of them anywhere (I checked everywhere that online forums suggested). When I looked up previously purchased apps, it looked like I would have to purchase them again. When I tried to buy them again, a pop-up box appeared saying that I have already purchased this item and that the download would be free.

Once installed again, my apps even had the data in them.

Reaction score
Apps downloaded from the App Store are stored in Music:iTunes:Mobile Applications. So unless you have also moved that to an external drive, they are lost.

The Data, contacts, calendar, mail etc are synced with their respective apps in OS X. The easiest way of backing those up is having a MobileMe account, but if you don't and right now those apps are blank, then that is what your iPod Touch will be... blank.

Thank you, iLaw, my mising apps were right there in the Mobile Apps folder. Had to do a restore yesterday, and none of the apps showed in iTunes today. All set now, thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.