Alt. Options to Itunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Hey I'm in the process of taking all my itunes music files stored on my macbook's internal HD and transferring to my 320 GB external HD.
I'm trying to free up some much needed space on my internal HD but once I put all my music onto my external is there anyway I can play them without loading them back onto itunes and thus putting them back onto my macs internal drive? Thanks jake

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sigh...guess I should of searched the apple page before posting, thanks a ton for the link though =]

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
s'alright, we all need pointers from time to time

One thing to remember keeping your iTunes Library on an external drive - if you have any podcasts or other things that download automatically - if you open iTunes while not connected to the external, iTunes will change the library location back to your internal drive so that it can store those downloads

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey I just want to thank you for the help bobtomay, everything went smooth and my mac now has plenty of free space! Thanks for making my first experience on this forum a positive one. Thanks again, jake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Notebook
Transferring iTunes to an External Drive

Greeting,

I have just installed a 500GB drive and want to move the iTunes Media folder. I have the hard copy of the support instructions and it just won't work after trying 3X. I thought there might be something wrong with the drive but I'm able to move files and open from the new drive, even other music files. Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? Any help will be appreciated. I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.5 and iTunes 10.1

Thanx,
Ron Scott

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.