Inquiry Mac Pro for OS X server

Reaction score
Ok the boss just gave me an OK to get him a price for Hardware and OS to run a Mac server, Casper will be install on it.

I am not a Mac admin, but thrown in to support them.

Need suggestion:

1. Hardware to go with running a server OS.

Thanks in advance.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Here are the system requirements for OS X Leopard Server (source, p. 32):
- An Intel processor or PowerPC G5 or G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor
- At least 1 gigabyte (GB) of random access memory (RAM)
- At least 20 gigabytes (GB) of disk space available
- An active connection to a secure Ethernet network

As for the soon to be released OS X Snow Leopard Server (Sept. 2009), the requirements are as follows (source):
- Mac desktop or server with Intel processor
- 10GB of available disk space
- 2GB of RAM

How many clients are we talking about here?

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks, I went ahead and contact one of the apple consultant and they gave me a quote.

Xserve:
# One 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (quad-core)
# 3GB (3x1GB)
# On-board SATA/SAS Controller
# 160GB Serial ATA ADM @ 7200-rpm
# 8x SuperDrive DL (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 256MB
# Single 750W Power Supply
# Rack Mounting Kit - Square Hole Rack

and OS X Server Leopard.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You are not limited to using an Xserve if it proves not to meet your needs. For instance, I believe the user Nethfel runs OS X Server on a Mac Mini but I could be wrong. This article talks about one individual who ran it on a Mini as well. That said, you need to decide what machine fits your needs based on specs. A good place to start would be to browse what is available through the Apple website.

You may also want to take a look at these videos available on the iTMS (free) if you're interested. The one's I've seen aren't too technical but will give you a good sense of how OS X Server works and what to expect. In fact, these videos show the individuals using OS X server on a MBP.

Also, depending on your needs, you may not need OS X server and might be fine with OS X. What are you planning to have this machine do?

OP
O
Reaction score
Vansmith- it's going to be a domain server with Casper install to be able to push packages and distribute software via to remote locations.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.