7100/66 attempting to connect to TCP/IP through AAUI-15

Reaction score
I attempting to connect an industrial punch that uses a PowerMac 7100 / 66 to receive instructions from a CAD/CAM style application running on a WinTel.

The device has an AAUI-15 connector on the back with a converter to an RJ-45 friendly dongle. I have successfully plugged in a CAT 5 cable. The 2 protocols listed are Appletalk 58.1.3 and Localtalk 58.2.2 currently LocalTalk is enabled (when I switch to Ethertalk an error message is received). No MacTCP, can't locate a software bridge, and no visible way of addressing.

My question... Do I need to acquire a hardware bridge to allow for connectivity to a modern 100 Base T Cat 5 connector?

Are there better methods to connect this device to the network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I attempting to connect an industrial punch that uses a PowerMac 7100 / 66 to receive instructions from a CAD/CAM style application running on a WinTel.

The device has an AAUI-15 connector on the back with a converter to an RJ-45 friendly dongle. I have successfully plugged in a CAT 5 cable. The 2 protocols listed are Appletalk 58.1.3 and Localtalk 58.2.2 currently LocalTalk is enabled (when I switch to Ethertalk an error message is received). No MacTCP, can't locate a software bridge, and no visible way of addressing.

My question... Do I need to acquire a hardware bridge to allow for connectivity to a modern 100 Base T Cat 5 connector?

Are there better methods to connect this device to the network?

So long as your AAUI-to-10Base-T transciever (that dongle) is working, you should be able to connect just fine. Your 100Base-T switch should automatically scale down to the 10Base-T transciever.

Without knowing what the error message says, I can only guess that the Mac may be missing some networking components. You can download everything up to System 7.5.5 from Apple's support site, which should give you full TCP/IP support. If you want to run Mac OS 8 or newer, try eBay.

When get TCP/IP running, you could place files on an FTP or web server, and then download them from the Mac. Without knowing more about what applications and/or protocols you plan to use, that's the only suggestion I have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Is there possibility that a real 10BaseT cable is needed rather than a 100BaseT? I remember having to rewire to take advantage of 100BT but do the older Macs have hardwired expectations for 10BaseT?

I would try plugging the machine into a network to see what it "sees" and connects to. If it can see then the connection/converter is good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What os is it running sytem 7, 8 or 9?

you dont need localtalk (which ran over the printer and modem ports), it needs to be using Appletalk

If there is an error you may be able to download a network update from apple, depending on which OS it is running

Reaction score
What os is it running sytem 7, 8 or 9?

you dont need localtalk (which ran over the printer and modem ports), it needs to be using Appletalk

To connect to ethernet hubs you need Appletalk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.