I dropped my MacBook Pro (laptop insurance?)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2009 15'' MacBook Pro; 2.53GHz, 4GB memory, 250GB hard drive.
Well actually, I fell off my bike with my notebook inside my backpack. It was quite a spectacular fall actually. Scrapped my left knee and the back of my left ankle. I was standing and peddling on my bike when all of a sudden the gears shifted unexpectedly. The bike shook, my foot slip, and I flip to the left and land right on my back.

Now about my MBP (unibody, late '09)...

It has cosmetic damage on the right corner by the infrared receiver. It's not affecting the use of my computer (I'm typing on it now).

So my question is, can I get an insurance policy after I have dropped it?

Is that fraud?

Either way, I totally blame the bike for this incident.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White Leopard, 10.5.7, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Memory, 148 GB, iWork '08, iLife '09
=[ Sorry Mate

Well, I believe that you cannot claim it on insurance, as it is partially your fault for having the laptop in your bag while it may not have been properly protected.

The only thing you can/should do is take to an apple store, tell them what happened and get it repaired. It is a bit expensive, but worth it.

It is classified as accidental damage I'm afraid, and there is no way to hide that. One of my keys snapped once on my mac, and I hadn't even done anything to it. The apple store said they cannot repair it without me paying because it was "Accidental Damage".

I was infuriated as it was a design fault. I just started an argument in the store and in the end they gave in and did it for free :D

I hope it all goes well for you. You may be able to claim it on insurance as it may have been a design fault with your bike, so get your parents to check it out.

Hope I helped :D

Bendy Straw

The All-Time mac user

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well actually, I fell off my bike with my notebook inside my backpack. It was quite a spectacular fall actually. Scrapped my left knee and the back of my left ankle. I was standing and peddling on my bike when all of a sudden the gears shifted unexpectedly. The bike shook, my foot slip, and I flip to the left and land right on my back.

Now about my MBP (unibody, late '09)...

It has cosmetic damage on the right corner by the infrared receiver. It's not affecting the use of my computer (I'm typing on it now).

So my question is, can I get an insurance policy after I have dropped it?

Is that fraud?

Either way, I totally blame the bike for this incident.

Bingo. That would be insurance fraud - and illegal, and since we don't discuss illegal activity here, this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.