Potential switcher with a glossy problem

Reaction score
First post - be gentle :)

I do alot of music editing and mixing, so I've been drooling over the new 15" MBP for the last few weeks, but I'm a bit worried about all the negative press surrounding the glossy screen. OK, it seems the concensus is in an ideal world there would be a Matt option, but their ain't, and I still want a Mac!

I'll mostly be using it at home where 'll have some controll over lighting, but obviously it's a portable so I don't want to have it house-bound.

Maybe I should just take the plunge and see how it goes, and if it a real issue, use some anti-glare film.

Has anyone used the film on the new MBP with any success?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Go to any computer or electronics store, and check out the glossy displays to see what you think.

Another option is to purchase a older used MacBook Pro with the matte screen.

A third option...I went to the Apple Store online...and apparently with the 17" model you can choose (as an option) an anti-glare display. I'm assuming it's a matte display. No options for this on the 13" or 15" models.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
I've seen it in store, and thought it was fine to be honest, very clear and crisp ... but real life might be more difficult depending on lighting.

Shame they don't have an anti-glare for the 15" .... 17" is a bit to bulky for my needs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes the 17" is a bit bulky, and expensive as well.

Personally I don't mind the glossy screens. Even with the matte screens, you will get into situations where glare can be a problem.

I know some folks don't like buying used computers...but honestly, if you really want a matte screen, consider an older 15" MacBook Pro, with a matte screen of course. You'll save some money as well buying used.

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You get over it quickly and glossy screen shouldn't matter all that much to anyone besides a designer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Since you say you'll be using it at home most of the time, you could also just buy a good external monitor, and use that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Since you say you'll be using it at home most of the time, you could also just buy a good external monitor, and use that.

Plus the fact that you stated you plan on being portable most of the time, you'll have control of what angle you'll be using your Macbook Pro in order to avoid glare or direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
The new MBP's screen is so bright that you wont notice the gloss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.