Connecting Macbook White latest version (2.13Ghz) to TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard
I've read on the internet that it is possible to use a VGA adapter. I've brough one and a VGAcable but have just thought of something. VGA doesn't support sound, does it? That's a nuisance. What if I want 5.1 sound?An optical lead goes from my TV into the home cinema system). I have one HDMI input available but it's on the side. I have steeo inputs on the TV and the home cinema system. There are no more optical inputs it seems.

I have a weird looking port with Audio written under it. It has a plastic part with a hole in it. It's a Samsung TV LE37R87BD. I don't know what that is, so could it be useful?

Or can I stream the audio by bluetooth directly to the home cinema system? It supports bluetooth transfer. Would it be 5.1 sound?

Apple could do better with a HDMI port. It would make things easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Bluetooth quality sucks in my opinion. Even if you could Rube Goldberg it and make it work I do not think you would be happy.

OP
god0fgod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thankyou for that. I might simply switch the cables manually as the connections are only at the back of by TV. It's easy to reach.

I read somewhere that you can use bluetooth to stream sound. It said the quality was rubbish but that was 3 years ago. No improvement then?

Bluetooth would clearly be easier but I'll only use it if the sound is good quality 5.1 sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Man I hate that when the post order gets mixed up. Why does that happen?

OP
god0fgod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
vbulletin bug, it seems.

And thankyou for your help. It's a shame about the bluetooth, but using an optical lead with the adpater shouldn't be too much of a pain. If I buy the adapter now it should arrive at a similar time to all the other items.

I need a nice bag next. Problem is finding one which is both stylish and has room for the power cable. I need to keep enough money for driving lessons for now though.

T

todd51

That's the same exact way I get surround sound out of my MBP, just switch the optical cable from the back of my PS3 to my computer. It's not too much of a hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
If it was me I would not risk doing something to the optical ports on the expensive equipment and spend the whopping 10 bucks and get the switch. That's just me though ;)

OP
god0fgod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those cables and connectors might be delicate but I'm sure they will be fine if I'm careful. I had to use a scart switcher before and it was messy and not very pleasant to use. I wont get one for at least now.

OP
god0fgod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I try connecting my Macbook to my Samsung TV the TV simply goes back and the power light flashes. What the heck is going on?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.