BAck up to new MBP

Reaction score
Unfortunatley my Macbook Pro has been dropped ( not by me ) and the whole screen is caputt !
My insurance co is collecting it tomorrow and I need to make a complete copy/backup of the whole thing as they may replace it.
I also have a Powerbook G4, can and how can I back the MBP onto the older Powerbook ( in simple terms ) .
I was hoping I could simply make a copy via firewire. I have now connected the MBP to a monitor so I can at least use it but it's being collected tomorrow- help??.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best way would be to make the backup to an external hard drive. But if you don't have one handy, you can hook your MBP to the PB via firewire and boot the MBP in "Target Disk Mode" from the PB. That would enable you to make a copy of all your data, photos, music, documents, and so forth to the PB (if you have enough space on the PB). You only really need to make a copy of things that can not be replaced. The operating system and applications can be reinstalled when you receive your new machine back.

See the following instructions on how to boot in Target Disk Mode.

Regards.

OP
G
Reaction score
Is it possible to just copy the whole Mac HD image across to the PB ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is it possible to just copy the whole Mac HD image across to the PB ?

Yes, it's possible, however, you need to consider how much available space you have on the PB to accommodate the entire contents of the MBP hard drive before you start the copying process.

If you have room on the PB, create a folder on your desktop and name it something like "My MacBook Pro". Then using the Target Disk Mode method I suggested, copy everything from the MBP to that folder. Note: It will take some time depending on the quantity of data that needs to be transferred.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.