Media Center and Workstation (external LCD and external optical sound)

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

As I'm about to run XBMC (Media Center) on my iMac, I have some questions that I hope you can help me out with. First let me explain my situation:

I wan't to connect my LCD television to my iMac thru the Mini Displayport to DVI. I then want to run the Media Center in one of my space. This way, I'll be able to use the iMac, but also see my Media Center on my LCD.

Now the tricky question... What about the sound?

I plan on using a Jack -> Optical converter, so i can stream digital sound - this is no problem. But is it somehow possible to use both the internal speakers and at the same time "reserve" the Audio out for the space running my Media Center.

If so, I would be able to use the iMac for normal usage - but at the same time watch a movie on my LCD in the living room having the "correct audio" both places...

The tricky part is the sound... Hope someone knows the answer?

Thanks!

OP
I
Reaction score
I guess I would have to start the movie from the iMac - unless it's possible to have 2 keyboard... if one of them can be locked to the space...

Though i don't think that would be possible...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
1. i highly recommend Plex over XBMC. i have tried them all and Plex gets better everyday with an amazing amount of content.

2. you can only have either the sound going out or staying on the iMac and plugging the cable in is what controls this. it is 100% impossible to even have the internal iMac speakers work unless there is nothing plugged into audio out. this is a hardware setup and not software so it can not be manipulated since the iMac senses the audio in jack and sends all sound out and turns off the iMac speakers. this can be a pain the butt for your setup since you will have to manually reach back and plug and unplug your cable. having the toslink optical sound out cable makes it worse since you cant just pull it and let it drop but should put the cover on it.

there is a work around to being able to switch between your stereo out and your iMac speakers without having to unplug it but its gonna cost ya. details here.

3. not sure about shipping to wherever you are but you may find this optical cable a lot cheaper and they have them longer. i bought the 12 foot and it works great.

another thing that may bother you and it did me (switched to a mini) is that you can not turn off the iMac screen while watching a movie on your LCD TV and my iMac was located next to my LCD TV and i wanted a dark room sometimes for a movie. my only solution was to cover it with a towel. i googled and read forever on this subject and there are some suggestions out there but a towel was the only real way to get it out completely dark. if you turn down the brightness you affect the LCD TV picture and if your Media Center has a "Black out other monitor" option then it goes black but not off so you still see that glow.

anyway hope that helps

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi fletch33

Thank you for the reply, it was really helpfull...

Over time I will buy a mini - but as a start, I had hoped the iMac project would work.

I really don't like the "cannot turn of monitor" part - not that the iMac is in the same room, but thats really annoying. I make the screen go to sleep everytime i leave my office, so i guess that will "turn of the lcd" aswell?

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
the iMac will work great for you. i used it for years like that and just unplugged the audio cable when needed. i recently sold it and switched to a Mini though is why i mentioned it. i am much happier with the Mini as my Media Center but i also really only use it for that since i have several other macs in the house.

also you might want to check out the EyeTV it is a great addition to your setup :)

also if you get any of the Harmony Universal Remotes for as low as $59 US then you can sit back and control all your devices including your XBMC/Plex from one remote. this is the best and the Logitech software usually finds all the codes for you online including replacing the Apple Remote.

have fun

OP
I
Reaction score
I'm gonna give it a shot.

I use my PS3 as Media Center today - and I'm actually pretty happy about it. There are some cons though: high power comsumption, not as userfriendly (girfriend usable), and not as usable as the mini would be for browsing etc.

Anyway, could clarify if I'm able or not, to make my screen goto sleep without the LCD will "turn off" aswell?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if the iMac display sleeps then the LCD sleeps as well :(

OP
I
Reaction score
Spaces, resolution?? help...

So, i finally got my cables.... The optical cable is running, and the DVI->HDMI is running aswell... Now I simply need to get my spaces running propperly, help!

I've 2 spaces, that means i get 4 when i turn on the LCD. The thing is, I'm unable to drag XBMC to the LCD, and get it into fullscreen right away. I'm unable to select the LCD in my spaces, so i can't say "XMBC must start in space 2".... It's turn on my monitor.

Only way to get it running fullscreen, is to drag a "none 1920x1080" onto the LCD, and within the program set the propper resolution, this way it's start in fullscreen on the LCD.

Help...?

I've been told, that the only way to get a "propper scaled image" is by using VGA. The quality should be the same... The text is "scattered" but in fullscreen things looks fime - this shouldnt be a problem with VGA... Can anyone confirm this?

OP
I
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that my monitor is 1900x1200 and my LCD 1920x1080

I can't dublicate the screens, as my monitor will change to 1920x1080

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
not sure what you mean by 2 spaces?

VGA would be taking a digital signal and making it analog so no you will not get the same quality per say but with the modern LCD's capabilities it sometimes is hard to see the difference. i know on cheaper or older LCD's the difference from VGA to DVI is very noticeable but not so much on some newer LCD's. i always go DVI or HDMI to be sure i am getting the best picture possible.

i would run everything in space #1 and run extended desktop where the LCD 1920x1080 is the extended monitor and the smaller one is the one for your dock etc... then open XBMC on the 1920 and go full screen. if you keep it this way when you shut it down then it should open back up full screen on that 1920 the next time. this way you always have your smaller monitor to surf, email, etc... without effecting the movie or whatever you are watching.

also thought i would mention again that having tried all the major media managers i found Plex to be the superior choice :)

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi fletch33

I've tried to fool around with plex now, it's seems more "mac'ish" but also a bit unstable - anyway i'll give it a go.

I've hooked up my PS3 remote, with "Buddy Remote", and it's works like a charm. The remote do turn off, and I'm having some problems getting it to reconnect.

I'm working on to "lock the remove to plex"... and not the active window

There's no option in plex for auto adjust frame rate, right?

Do you use "overscan" on or off in your display settings?

Thanks

OP
I
Reaction score
I've keept overscan off, and set my Samsung to "Just Scan"...
Seems to be the way to go about it

I'll go continue the fine tuning :)

OP
I
Reaction score
btw. in plex you can select "black monitor" and i turns of my iMac screen... I'll just go and look for a shortcut, so i can bind it to the remote control ;)

Update:
With this Apple Script, you can start Plex and make it active with your Remote Control...

tell application "System Events"
tell application "Plex" to activate
end tell

I'm trying to make a key bind for the monitor to turn off, but I'm unable to bind the key correct... any help? The command should be like this:
"assign the Plex.ToggleDisplayBlanking command to a key in the keymap."

Reaction score
This is just what I'm looking to do with my iMac. My TV is accross the room with the imac behind the sofa. So, if the imac screen stays on should not be a big deal. Along video cable will be needed and optical cable.

OP
I
Reaction score
I hope to be able to make a short guide, to those who want to optain the same setup as I have... anyway, I have one last problem - before I'm able to make a guide (imo)...

if my iMac is working on something, but I dont need to be looking at it - I would normally make the screen goto sleep.

I'm not able to do so, when Plex is running. I don't care if both displays turns off. I simply wan't to be able to make my screen/screens go to sleep while Plex is running. It's irritating that you have to quit Plex, everytime you wan't to make your screen goto sleep.

Alot of the times, I simply have Plex runnning not using it. So when i leave the iMac for some reason, and not wanna turn it off, I would want to make the screen to goto sleep - but i can't. Plex makes it turn on again after some seconds....

Any fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update:
With this Apple Script, you can start Plex and make it active with your Remote Control...

tell application "System Events"
tell application "Plex" to activate
end tell
"

there is a setting in Plex for this. no need for an Apple Script. choose Apple Remote in settings. also if you can pick up a Logitech Harmony Universal Remote it makes everything even better as they have Plex already in there software as a remote application as well as you can put ALL your other remotes away including the Apple remote.

I hope to be able to make a short guide, to those who want to optain the same setup as I have... anyway, I have one last problem - before I'm able to make a guide (imo)...

if my iMac is working on something, but I dont need to be looking at it - I would normally make the screen goto sleep.

I'm not able to do so, when Plex is running. I don't care if both displays turns off. I simply wan't to be able to make my screen/screens go to sleep while Plex is running. It's irritating that you have to quit Plex, everytime you wan't to make your screen goto sleep.

there is a also a setting in Plex to sleep your machine and your monitor under system settings. i use it everyday. no need to quit Plex. your remote will also wake it back up.

LOL not to be rude but i think you have a lot more reading and learning to do before you make a guide.

OP
I
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'll take another look, but I don't think I'll find what I'm looking for. Remote Buddy does it smoothly, with my button binded to the script above.
- I've seen the Logitech remotes, I just find them so expensive... But if it can be programmet, so i push "DVD" and it make my Samsung change Input to my iMac, my Harmon kardon reciever to switch to "DVD" and starts my Plex - THEN ILL BYE IT! ;)....Today i have a remote for my TV, Reciever, Dreambox and PS3... Can they be joined - with ease? Also it's not bluetooth, and my iMac is behind a wall from where my sofa is placed...

I'm not looking for a shortcut within Plex to make my system goto sleep. I use my expose, so when i move my mouse down in the right corner, the screen will "turn off". This doesnt work while Plex is running... the screen will come back on after 3-5 seconds...

Well, maybe not a guide then, more "how i got it up'n'running :)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
with Plex running you are correct your right corner drag will only dim the screen for a moment and then come back on as Plex will wake it up right away. you need to setup the sleep in Plex if you are leaving it running.

with the Remote Buddy i found it best to pass the commands through straight to Plex as raw commands and let Plex handle them. this can be done in Remote Buddy. then you can choose an Apple Remote button combination that you do not use with Plex and that command would open up the Remote Buddy menu.

just curious why you are using Remote Buddy. i know a lot of reasons for it but what are yours? if it is just for Plex then it is easier without it.

OP
I
Reaction score
It's simply so I'm able to connect my PS3 remote to my iMac, and afterwards to bind the buttons as i prefere...

As I have a wall between my couch and iMac I'm forced to use bluetooth, and I really find the PS3 remote usefull for this purpose..

I do not know of anyother other way to connect my PS3 remote, and this is really easy to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.