Aluminium unibody - Easy to dent and scratch?

Reaction score
Dear All,

I have recently decided that the macbook pro is too good to resist and am now seriously considering switching to it.
I travel a lot with work and tend to use the laptop on the train / plane / airport. Even though i currently own a 13.3 inch toshiba, i am considering switching to the 15 inch MBP. I am worried about two things and would be very grateful for any constructive comment:

i) Aluminium unibody durability
I have heard a lot of rumors (just rumors) that the aluminium unibody of the MBP is comparatively more easy to scratch, dent etc. Reason being that even though plastic laptops are not as sexy looking, they are slightly more resilient to scratches and dents. In contrast, the aluminium unibody dents and scratches more easily and these show more due to the reflective surface of the metal. I do take care of the laptop of course but considering i will be carrying the MBP around (in a good protective packpack) a lot (trains / planes / airports), i am affraid i might be buying a very expensive and good looking laptop which will start showing scratches and dents all around after a year.
Am i right to be worried?

ii) Appropriate size
I currently own a 13.3 inch Satellite Pro and even though it is great to travel with, it is a very poor performing machine. The screen is too small for using this as my main and only laptop. I am hence considering the 15inch MBP. Is this ok to work on when in the train (I live in the UK) and on the plane? Maybe 15 inch is too big for this kind of thing? or have i just been spoilt by the 13.3 inch?
(i am not considering the MBP 13 because my work requires the good graphics card).

I really appreciate any help / advice
Many thanks

Yiannis
(UK)

SCV

Reaction score
For Your worries of Scratches and dents I would look into these. I personally don't own a mac book as of yet but when i get one i will be getting the Zagg invisible shield and the incase hardshell or the Speck Seethrough Satin hard shell. Here are the links to everything I just talked about.

Invisible Shield -
ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | Apple MacBook Pro 15 inch 2nd Gen Unibody Cases, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

Incase Hardshell -
Incase Hardshell Case

Speck See Thru Satin -
Speck | SeeThru Satin Soft-Touch Hard Shell for MacBook Pro 15" (aluminum, black keys)

There you go I hope that helps you out a little bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
i do not like protectors of any kind whether on my iPhone or Macbooks but many people use them. the only problem i have had with my aluminum macbooks is that the underside will get scratches from setting down everywhere i go but no scratches anywhere you can see just the bottom. my aluminum goes everywhere with me as well and although i try and look out for it i do not baby it with soft clothes for it to sit on or anything over the top. i pop it in my backpack and lay it out where ever i am and only the bottom shows little scratches.

hope that helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook Pro 15 in. 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4g ram DDR3 and 320gig HDD
I have had many macbook pros over the years and I have NEVER had the issue of scratching on the top sexy looking part. However since I wear a belt all of the time, the bottom of mine will get scratched and its a very minor scratch.

The 15 in screen is perfect in my opinion. I travel alot like you do and my old 13 in was too small so I "super upgraded" to a 17. Guess what... that was too big. Now I have a 15 in and its perfect!

So i guess buying a MBP is just like the three bears story (This soup is too hot. This soup is too cold. This soup is just right)

Overall its pretty anti scratch if you ask me, just take care of it.

-Patrick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Ditto that. While there are protective covers you can use, I've never needed anything but a neoprene sleeve to put mine in for when I need to carry it in a bag (just have to watch the zippers). I've had my MBP for over a year now and I take it with me almost everywhere I go, and there are no scratches or dings on the top. There are a few minor scrapes on the bottom from when I set it down and slide it around, but nothing that mars the overall look. If I were that anal about it, I could do place a cloth underneath it or something, but really it's not that bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
About the screen size, 15 inch sounds good for your use, but I like to use a 13 inch because it is easier to carry around and feels more portable, but 15 inch is great as well, it also has a higher resolution screen. Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
The 15 in screen is perfect in my opinion. I travel alot like you do and my old 13 in was too small so I "super upgraded" to a 17. Guess what... that was too big. Now I have a 15 in and its perfect!

-Patrick

NUH-UH the 13 inch is the perfect size :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
I have to add that I've been doing great with my 13.3" screen, and I don't take my laptop to many places.. yet (going to college in September so we'll see if that changes). Having said that, my next laptop will be the 15.4" MBP, which is a great size as well. I personally love both the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.